M1 with Windows 10 Client ARM64 Insider Preview (Build 21286)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by GanapathiB, Jun 30, 2021.

1. GanapathiB

GanapathiB Bit poster

Help ! Is it possible to install a second VM (ARM-based) in Windows 10 ARM Insider?
    My machine is a MacBook Air with M1, installed is Parallels 16.5 with Windows 10 ARM Insider.

My problem, I have a program that only runs under XP or
    Windows 7. Not anymore under Windows 10, not even in compatibility mode XP or Windows 7.

My last machine was MacBook Air (Intel), with Parallel 15 and Windows 7. Here everything ran without problems.

The idea is to install a second VM under Window 10 ARM. Windows 7 is to be installed there.

Will this work or not?

I would be very grateful for helpful information. I need it professionally.

Thanks and greetings Ganapathi

2. AlexeyY1

AlexeyY1 Member

Theoretically it is possible if you will find any VM software, which will run under windows 10 ARM x86 emulation. I think you need to look for rather old versions, which do not use any hardware assisted virtualization.

3. GanapathiB

GanapathiB Bit poster

Danke für den Tipp. Hat jemand eine Idee, welche VM mit welcher Version das sein könnte.
    Thanks for the tip. Does anyone have an idea which VM with which version this could be.

4. AlexeyY1

AlexeyY1 Member

QEMU will work. But it's rather sophisticated and hard to use. BTW, you can install QUEMU directly in MacOS.

5. AlexeyY1

AlexeyY1 Member

And there is one more solution. Use UTM directly on your Mac. It is a frontend iOS app and it runs on M1 Macs.
    You can download it here: https://mac.getutm.app/ There are also several preconfigured virtual machines there.

6. AlexeyY1

AlexeyY1 Member

Update: UTM is now native M1 application. It uses QEMU and works through pure software emulation.

Here is XP running on M1 under UTM:
    xp.jpg

7. GanapathiB

GanapathiB Bit poster

Hello Alexey,
    thank you for the really helpful information.
    Please let me summarise so that I understand it correctly.

On my M1 I have Parallels 16.5 with Windows 10 ARM insider.
    It is now possible to install a second VM UTM on the MAC side and install XP or Windows 7 there.

This could solve my problem described above.
    It is important that both Windows 10 ARM and XP are available on the M1.

Is the installation difficult, I am not so the best at it.
    Which app should use from „download" or "mac app store"?

Greetings Ganapathi

AlexeyY1 likes this.
  8. kundanno

kundanno Hunter

I am guessing UTM and PD can coexist and can run at the same time?

AlexeyY1 likes this.
  9. AlexeyY1

AlexeyY1 Member

Yes.

Direct download is free, version in App Store is donated, so it cost $10. Both are the same, but version from store will be automatically updated.
    Installation is usual for Mac.

Yes.

I need to point out again, that running old OS via UTM is possible only through full software emulation, so it will be rather slow. UTM also has no any video acceleration. It suitable only for running old specific software which cannot run directly in Windows 10 ARM. And of course, it is not as stable as PD is.