Mac Big Sur and Parallels 15

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by MartinY, Sep 29, 2020.

1. MartinY

MartinY Junior Member

I'm seeing lots of threads on here about other customers trying out Parallels 16 with the betas of Big Sur but what about those of us who are on Parallels 15 and want to stay there for now?

I've only just recently upgraded to a Parallels 15 single purchase licence. Does this mean I'm not able to upgrade to Big Sur and continue using Parallels unless I also upgrade that at an additional cost?

2. MartinY

MartinY Junior Member

3. MartinY

MartinY Junior Member

That's why I referenced two Parallels employees in my last post

4. Parallels Desktop 15.1.5 update has been released recently.
    Please find more information about newest update and macOS 11 Big Sur below:
    • Resolves an issue with Parallels Desktop not starting in macOS 11 Big Sur.
    • Resolves an issue with Parallels Desktop freezing when opening a virtual machine configuration.
    • Resolves an issue with Parallels Desktop freezing when a user chooses to quit the app.
    • Resolves an issue with a keyboard not typing certain symbols in a virtual machine (e.g., 1, 2, T, Y, etc.).
    • Resolves an issue with Parallels Desktop crashing after a user logs in to Windows.
    • Resolves an issue with Parallels Desktop crashing after clicking "VM is ready" at the end of the virtual machine installation.
    • Resolves an issue with a macOS virtual machine showing a black screen after upgrading it to macOS 11 Big Sur.
    • Resolves an issue with Parallels Desktop incorrectly showing the macOS 11 Big Sur version as 10.16.

MartinY likes this.
  5. MartinY

MartinY Junior Member

Thanks @Maria@Parallels - good news. :)

6. BruceJ3

BruceJ3 Bit poster

Parallel Desktop 15.1.5 does not work with OS Big Sur. Don't ever upgrade to Big Sur unless you want to purchase a new license for Parallels 16. I don't think the parallels developers even know how to design an update for version 15 that will make it work. Just can't be done apparently.

7. MartinY

MartinY Junior Member

@BruceJ3 what problems have you experienced so far and have Parallels provided any support?

8. BruceJ3

BruceJ3 Bit poster

My only problem is that PD will not load in Big Sur. Each time I try, an error message pops up saying I need to restart Mac OS. Parallels Support responded to my request for help twice. Their first response was basically a canned sales pitch for PD16 Pro version. I responded asking if they could address my problem with loading the Desktop. The second Support response said they cannot solve the problem unless a subscribe to the Pro Version. So, I am going to find a way to delete Big Sur and load OS X again on my Mac Book.

9. MartinY

MartinY Junior Member

Thanks for sharing @BruceJ3 - a disappointing situation.
    @IvanD@Parallels @Maria@Parallels are you able to advise on this? I'd far prefer to stay with Parallels but do not wish at this stage to upgrade.