Mac Bootcamp Installation Assistant Stuck in 'Creating...' Stage

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by StevenR11, Dec 28, 2020.

1. StevenR11

StevenR11 Bit poster

Hi Guys and Gals. First installation of Parallels and trying to use my existing Mac Bootcamp partition, which the installer sees as an option, but when the Installation Assistant tries to create the VM it gets stuck forever in the Creating... stage with the swirling round image with please wait... underneath it. The fans go mad too and it doesn't return from this. I've stopped it, rebooted, un/re-installed Parallels and each time it gets stuck trying to create a VM to access my existing Bootcamp partition.

I've noticed prl_disk_tool process (viewed in Activity Monitor) is hammering the CPU load too when this occurs.

I'm at a loss and need help if anybody has any suggestions.

Many thanks.

Steve.

Attached Files:

2. StevenR11

StevenR11 Bit poster

I solved it!

I had to force-kill the process that the Installation Assistant spawned (prl_disk_tool) via Activity Manager (while it was stuck as described above), which then allowed the Installation Assistant to progress, ultimately finishing the creation of the Bootcamp-based VM.