MacBook Pro SD Card on Parallels 7

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by RaziA, May 31, 2012.

1. RaziA

RaziA Bit poster

I have MBP 15" (Early 2011)
    Mac OS 10.7.4
    Parallels 7.0.15094
    Windows 7 Ultimate as Guest OS

I want to mount SD directly on the virtual machine, I have a recovery software on windows which require the SD card to be as a drive not a shared folder, even when SD card is mounted on Mac OS X, Windows 7 can't see it as a shared drive.

How can I fix this?

2. YanaYana

YanaYana

How do you connect it to Mac? do you use any usb device for it? if es - i suggest you to connect this device to virtual machine first

3. RaziA

RaziA Bit poster

It's the built-in SD card reader. I thought if you plug in the SD card, Parallels should detect it and asks me if I want to mount it on Mac or VM... but it's not happening.

4. YanaYana

YanaYana

It usually ask it about USB. if you can see it in Mac - try to open Configuration - Options - Sharing - and add custom folder

5. RaziA

RaziA Bit poster

I don't want to add it as a shared folder, I want Windows to identify it as hardware, the software needs to see it as if I have it in Windows..

6. YanaYana

YanaYana

It is not possible with the build in reader. Any drive on Mac would be recognised as a shared folder - not in any other way. The only option is to get sparate USB card reader and connect it directly to VM (USB devices and DVD disks can be connected directly to VM)

7. KiyongK

KiyongK Bit poster

SDCard works on iMac, not on MBPro.

Same Parallels version, different menu. I'm sure it does not matter the images contain some Korean characters.

SDcard works on iMac, but not on MBPro.
    OSX 10.7.4 / Windows 7 Professional.
    16G Class 6 microSD with SDCard Adapter.

iMac (27", mid 2010)
    [​IMG]

MBPro (15", late 2011)
    [​IMG]

8. YanaYana

YanaYana

Hm seems like it should be available through the USB interface without any external devices. Unfortunately didn't have an environment to test it. I suggest you to reinstall Parallels Tools - it might be the reason.

9. KiyongK

KiyongK Bit poster

No macbookpro at all?

That happened with my earlier macbook and with earlier version of parallels. Do you mean that you're seeing "Apple Internal Memory Card Reader" on any macbookpro, or you don't have any macbookpro?

10. YanaYana

YanaYana

I have macbook pro and i can't see it too... would you please send me your email in private message so that we can investigate the issue?

11. Lars2B

Lars2B Bit poster

Any solution yet?

Hi,

I have the same issue with SC card reader. I even tried a re-installation at some point of time (not for that reason though). That didn't give me the oppertunity of selecting a USB SD drive. I'm using Adobe photoshop Elements, and I would really appriciate the possibility to load images direct from my SD card.

Do you have any solution yet?

Best regards
    Lars Broegger, Denmark

12. Lars2B

Lars2B Bit poster

One solution can be to...

... skip OSX and make a clean installation of windows on the Mac. This can easily be achieved - just google it. Lots of guides are available. Just did it my self, and everything is running smoothly. The computer is even performing better.

Short and fat:
    Boot up with original Mac OSX DVD.

When installation of OSX starts you will have the menu available.

Go to disc utilities - delete all partitions to one or two drives as you prefer (two drives if you want a C and D drive). Partition the drives to FAT. (Otherwise the windows installation cant find a valid installation drive)

Stop the OSX installation.

Switch DVD to Windows install DVD - This can be tricky. Upon reboot hold down eject key - switch DVD and force close with power button.

Upon reboot hold down ALT key.

Select Windows CD.

Start the installation.

Select wich drive to install to.

If using a Windows 7 upgrade CD - do not type in the activation key at this point.

When windows is running (several reboots -switch to Mac DVD in windows environment) - go to bootcamp folder.

Install Bootcamp using the bootcamp setup file.

After reboot - insert Windows 7 DVD and start installation again. This installation will be considered as an upgrade, and you can now use your activation key.

Best regards

Lars Broegger,
    Denmark.

13. javigon.napster

javigon.napster Bit poster

Status

Hi YanaYana,

Have you found a way to solve this issue? I develop for ARM processors and counting on the SD-card reader is vital. i also experience that it something that used to work and now it does not unfortunately.

I would appreciate any information and I am also more than willing to help solving the problem :)

Best,

14. inca6005

inca6005 Bit poster

Is there an answer to this yet? Why can't we access our drives in windows???

15. YanaYana

YanaYana

Sorry for a long wait guys, can you please send a problem report from Help --> Report a problem and pose the id here. I will push it for deeper investigation

16. javigon.napster

I will do that Yana, thanks for the answer,

Still, I bought a SD - USB adapter since the issue seems not to be of that much concern for you guys.

I don't really thing it's serious for a non-open-source company not to deal with bugs and avoid bug reporting... VirtualBox is doing a great job and catching up, just for you to know.

- javier

17. javigon.napster

Problem Report ID: 17056801

18. YanaYana

YanaYana

Great, thank you i appreciate it. I agree with you, this issue is going to be deeply investigated shortly

19. I'm having the same issue. On my mid 2011 iMac running Lion (10.7.4) the SD card reader shows under USB in Parallel's Devices menu. However, on my mid 2012 MBP running Mountain Lion (10.8.1), the SD card reader is missing.

Could it be that in the MBP 2012 the SD card is no longer connected internally thru USB? System Information under Mac OS shows Internal Memory Card Reader under USB on my iMac, but not on my MBP. Or is this related to Mountain Lion?

- Erik

20. ko_krenaud

ko_krenaud Bit poster

Erik B: The card reader is listed separately as "Card reader" in SystemInfo, not under USB. It is a disgrace that Parallels cannot handle the card reader on newer MBPs. It worked fine with my MBP 2010 with Snow Leopard.