MacBook Pro Won't Wake From Sleep If Parallels Is Running?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JohnL1, May 28, 2015.

1. JohnL1

JohnL1 Bit poster

New user of Parallels 10, Windows 10 Preview, on Mac OS X 10.3 using a MacBook Pro Retina.
    I notice that if Parallels is running, the MacBook sometimes will not wake up normally from sleep. I have to hold down the power key until I hear the chime, then it comes up with just Parallels running - all other apps are closed. This is not a consistent problem but happens maybe 2X week. I have reset PRAM and SMC with no change. If Parallels is not running, I have never experienced this problem.
    Do I have a setting wrong?

2. Manoj@Parallels

Manoj@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

3. ZacB1

ZacB1 Junior Member

There is no fix. This is a known issue that has persisted for years unaddressed. Support makes you go through the song-and-dance of them pretending to fix it, and the problem persists. Finally, they escalate your support request to an engineer who does the same thing before finally admitting that it's an issue with Parallels

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi zacB1, please be informed that Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac 11.2.0 (32851) was released and the issue has been addressed. Please update Parallels Desktop to the latest build. Latest version always available here: http://www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd11/ Please note that Parallels Tools also needs to be updated (Actions > Update Parallels Tools) and let us know how it works. Thanks!

5. ZacB1

ZacB1 Junior Member

I'm running the latest version with Parallels Tools that were updated after I installed the Parallels update. I ran into this problem again yesterday morning and lost some important work.

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi ZacB1, we are sorry to hear that you are facing the same issue again. Please reproduce the issue and share a Report ID number http://kb.parallels.com/9058, so that we will check it for you. Thanks!

7. ZacB1

ZacB1 Junior Member

Report ID 119169392. I'm running Parallels 12 now, and it's still an issue.

I've gone through Parallels support a couple times and I just get bounced from support to engineering, then around engineering until finally reaching someone who is at least aware of the issue, but it never gets resolved.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  8. Hi we've check our internal system and our Support engineers will contact you soon.
    Please let us know if you have any questions, we will be glad to help.

9. ZacB1

ZacB1 Junior Member

A support engineer contacted me today to tell me that the problem was at development and that there was no fix. Am I going to have to resurrect this thread next year, or is Parallels actually devoting resources to fixing it?

10. Checked it for you, Parallels Development team is currently working on the resolution, but we have no ETA.
    Anyway once the fix will be available we will inform all customer here in "Parallels Desktop updates" thread.

11. EricW5

EricW5 Bit poster

I have Parallels 12. I have never experienced this issue until now. If I leave parallels 12 runs and my computer sleeps it will not always wake. I get the login screen but its frozen. I cannot type in a password. I have to hard restart. So, Parallels did not fix anything.

12. EricW5

EricW5 Bit poster

Its infuriating to see a post like this because it means the opposite of what is said. Maria, if your folks are not working this actively and immediately they are not working it at all. If the posts on this thread are any indication, you may never fix it.

13. Dinesh@Parallels

Dinesh@Parallels Guest

Hey guys,
    Please try this solution and check the behaviour!

14. ZacB1

ZacB1 Junior Member

No. FileVault is a major feature of OS X. It's been around for years. There is no excuse for Parallels to not work with it.

Another patch, another glaringly absent fix.

15. ChrisL1

ChrisL1 Bit poster

Dinesh - so yours and Parallels recommendation is to turn off an important security feature of OS X? Am I reading that correctly?

16. ZacB1

ZacB1 Junior Member

Still not fixed. Any plan to address?

17. EricW5

EricW5 Bit poster

I am on Parallels 12. This is the first version I've used whereby if I leave a Parallels VM open and the iMac sleeps it will wake but not allow me to log in. None of the other things you point out as possible issue apply to me and I have used Parallels 9 to 12.

I am very surprised to see this is an ongoing issue that has not been corrected by Parallels.

18. Please try to reset your VM and check.

19. EricW5

EricW5 Bit poster

You misunderstand. The VM does not hang, the Mac OS hangs. When it wakes it will display my login name but not the box for entering my password. Have to force a shutdown.

20. ZacB1

ZacB1 Junior Member

Is anybody even looking into this?