MacOS 14.x Sonoma [Beta]

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Aries@PF, Jun 5, 2023.

1. Aries@PF

Aries@PF Hunter

A thread for those testing the latest Beta OS

My experience so far:
    I tried using a clone of my Ventura VM to get the beta loaded and so far it looks like it's not cooperating. Running Intel with plenty of resources and maxed resource allocation for the Desktop version of Parallels 17. I'm guessing that I'm going to be told to upgrade to v18, but I don't have any other reason to do so anytime soon. For now, I'm going to toy with it for a bit and see what happens.

2. TonyC2

TonyC2 Member

What does "not cooperating" mean?
    Can't get install started? Install fails half-way through? Install completes, but the VM won't start? VM starts but crashes after loading?...

GeetanjaliH likes this.
  3. AlexanderB27

AlexanderB27 Bit poster

Trying it out on a Windows 11 ARM VM, it keeps green screening and throwing Exceptions every few minutes. Haven't tried with a clean install yet, but trying to use a previous installation seems like it won't work for the time being.

4. Sven G

Sven G Member

For me, the macOS Sonoma developer beta installed (everything worked) and runs almost without problems in Parallels Desktop 18.3: except that it hangs at boot (with the progress bar stopping at about 1/3) when using the new, accelerated Apple paravirtualized graphics (in the first screenshot, instead, it is with the traditional, non-accelerated Parallels video driver, which however isn't an ideal user experience): maybe there is or will be a solution for this...? With the Apple Metal graphics driver, it stops booting at the point visible here in the verbose mode screenshot (see second image)...

IMG_2944.jpeg

IMG_2945.jpeg

5. AlexanderB27

AlexanderB27 Bit poster

Just to update this, the fresh installation works so far, and seems to be stable (no lags, glitches)

6. Aries@PF

Aries@PF Hunter

I'd have to look into it better, but I've let it run the initial installer a couple times and it ends up hanging during one of the boot sequences. I'll probably want to look into figuring out how to have parallels default to verbose mode and try again.

7. CliffW1

CliffW1 Bit poster

I've tried to follow the KB article to convert the IPSW to a MacVM but it just completes in less than a second and doesn't generate a working virtual machine?
    When I try and boot the resultant virtual machine it shows the following
    [​IMG]
    If I add it to the virtual machine, it errors.
    If I add it to the Mac it just does nothing.
    Any ideas?

8. CliffW1

CliffW1 Bit poster

Seem I need to install Xcode 15 beta according to the Sonoma KB article

9. Sven G

Sven G Member

How to boot a macOS guest in safe mode:

https://kb.parallels.com/en/124181

... so verbose would be like this:

devices.mac.boot_args="-v"

I tried installing the Xcode 15 beta, but it made no difference: the macOS 14 Sonoma guest still hangs at boot, using the default Apple Metal graphics driver, both with the Apple and Parallels hypervisor; while with the "old" Parallels non-Metal graphics driver, it works fine (but of course in a less usable way: sluggish and with no transparency effects)...

10. CliffW1

CliffW1 Bit poster

Got it working after installing Xcode 15 beta.
    Everything work so far except
    - Can't sign into iCloud (been an issue on Apple Silicon)
    - Can't seem to set timezone
    - Can't find anyway to control location services

11. mattlqx

mattlqx Bit poster

How are you going about installing the non-Metal graphics driver? Installing the Parallels Tools package from an old enough version of Parallels?

12. CliffW1

CliffW1 Bit poster

The article you linked is for intel based Macs, I assume you realise the Developer Beta of Sonoma is Apple Silicon only?

13. mattlqx

mattlqx Bit poster

It isn't. An Intel installer isn't provided on the developer site, but if you have a developer account logged into a 13.4 host, you can `
    softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 14.0` to get the installer app and Parallels will identify it and install from it (or you can createinstallmedia).

DKim likes this.
  14. mattlqx

mattlqx Bit poster

FWIW, macOS 14 Intel freezes at the point Sven said with Parallels Tools installed (18.2, since 18.3 is a no-go with the PerfMon issue). I did get the VM to boot by setting the video adapter via `prlctl set 63db51a7-ebba-46e9-bea5-6810ef9115db --video-adapter-type virtio`.

DKim likes this.
  15. CliffW1

CliffW1 Bit poster

Thanks for this information.
    Ran the command on a MacbookPro14,3 running 13.4 but it will not locate a 14.0 installer :(
    Do you need a paid developer account?

16. mattlqx

mattlqx Bit poster

Not any longer from what I read. But you do need logged on with that account to iCloud and have the developer beta channel selected in Software Updates.

Attached Files:

17. CliffW1

CliffW1 Bit poster

Yep did that, still no ball...

18. Aries@PF

Aries@PF Hunter

I did the regular (?) beta path where you register the Mac (VM) in beta and it triggered the installer download. Once it starts the installation, however, it locks up at one of a few points during the process.

19. Sven G

Sven G Member

In the Terminal:
    - use Parallels non-Metal graphics: prlctl set <VM_NAME> --video-adapter-type parallels
    - return to Apple Metal graphics: prlctl set <VM_NAME> --video-adapter-type apple
    Then, there is also the option video.metal=0 in the VM boot settings, but I haven't yet tried that.

20. Sven G

Sven G Member

As said before, it's Universal: Apple hasn't yet dropped Intel, with macOS 14 Sonoma. But this time it might be much easier to test the beta in an Apple Silicon environment, as the Apple Intel Metal graphics seem to have big problems with the beta. For now, being still on Intel, I think I will wait: too early for the beta to be useful, on Intel...