MacOS Catalina as guest OS on Parallels 15

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by JohnZo, Oct 12, 2019.

1. JohnZo

JohnZo Member

Am I correct in assuming Catalina is not (yet) supported as a guest OS on Parallels 15.0? Parallels is running under Mojave 10.14.6.

2. DeniseK1

DeniseK1 Bit poster

Parallels Desktop 15 can currently utilize macOS Catalina as a VM, with support for Catalina as a host operating system.

3. JohnZo

JohnZo Member

Hmmm, then something is amiss. After installing, the macOS (Catalina) window hangs but with 200% processor usage. The screen colored like dark ode. I thought it may be the external monitor so disconnected that but still no joy. Still hangs.

4. JohnZo

JohnZo Member

Reset and it now is running. Should have thought of that before!

5. SatT

SatT Bit poster

Is the Guest OS fast? It is very slow for me...

6. JohnZo

JohnZo Member

Seems reasonably responsive to me. I've assigned 4 processors and 4 GB to the VM. Installed the VM to see what Catalina is like. Personally, I'm staying with Mojave since I don't want to spend the money needed to upgrade a lot of infrequently used but occasionally needed apps.

7. SatT

SatT Bit poster

I missed the fact that your host OS is Mojave. I am on Catalina as host (and guest) - unfortunately cannot go back to Mojave because I am on the 16" MBP.

8. emmad2

emmad2 Bit poster

i recently asked the question here, not live yet :(

9. JoelL5

JoelL5 Bit poster

hey guys, so no luck..? I have same issue... running win 10 is perfectly fast but Catalina on Catalina is super slow and the GUI is not constructed correctly..

10. DeniseK1

DeniseK1 Bit poster

Fusion makes it simple to test nearly any OS and app on a Mac TalkToWendys.

11. Hi, could you please provide us with a bit more info about the issue. Does the Guest Catalina hang right after start? Could you also please collect the tech report right after the issue with guest Catalina slow performance reproduced and post the report's id here.

12. AlessandroDN

AlessandroDN Bit poster

I've running into the same issue: I have a Catalina VM on Catalina which is barely usable, even with 2 CPU, 8GB of virtual RAM.
    The UI is extremely sluggish, even opening a terminal takes 5 seconds.
    Just to note, I come from VMware Fusion and never seen something like this: the same VM configuration and software runs just fine :/
    I've generated my tech report [336029810] for you to see if there is anything weird.