macOS Catalina; Parallels Desktop 16; Wired USB Xbox 360 Controller

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by lukefilewalker, Sep 5, 2020.

1. lukefilewalker

lukefilewalker Bit poster

I purchased a new MacBook Pro and installed the new Parallels Desktop 16 with a fresh copy of Windows 10 on it (moved from an older MacBook Pro running Parallels Desktop 15). When I plugged in my controller and after I'm prompted to have it work w/either Mac or Windows, I received the message, "Unable to connect 'Controller' to 'Windows 10' now. Try to connect this USB device later. >Help me sole the problem: Solution". I followed the link in the message and tried to solve the issue using the "solution", however I was not able to see an entry for my controller under "Universal Serial Bus controllers" area (see attached screenshot). So I'm not able to update/un-install and re-install anything. I've also downloaded the driver for Windows 7 that I found, also to no avail. The bummer is that on the computer I migrated from (using PD15) it would work perfectly.

If anyone has had luck please let me know what you did to remedy as I've searched the forums and haven't found anything recent that is similar to my issue. Thanks all.

Attached Files:

2. Hello, could you please collect the tech report data right after the issue reproduced and post report's ID here?

3. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Do you have the XBox 360 Controllers kext installed on your Mac?
    If so, it could be because the Mac was automatically taking control of it. Try this:
    1. Unplug the controller from the Mac.
    2. Under your Mac's System Preferences, bring up Xbox 360 Controllers.
    3. Under the Controller's settings, go to the Advanced tab and unclick Enable Driver.
    4. Plug the controller back in. If Parallels asks you to connect to Mac or Windows, choose Windows.
    Windows should now install a driver and take control of the controller.

4. lukefilewalker

lukefilewalker Bit poster

Thanks Mark! I was indeed using the Kext Xbox 360 Controller driver and your solution worked... thank you! Also, Maria@Parallels thank you for reaching out... I appreciate it.

5. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Glad it worked.