macOS Guest VMs crash at start up

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Carbonideus, Oct 26, 2022.

1. Carbonideus

Carbonideus Junior Member

Hi,

I updated my computer to macOS 13 and now macOS guest VMs crash at start up (Windows or Linux VMs continue to work, I did not experience the crash after 5 minutes as reported in other threads). I also updated Parallels to latest version (18..0.3).
    Parallels Desktop sent automatically a bug report, but I wanted to make sure it is reported here on the forum as well, and maybe someone knows a work around until Parallels fixes the issue?

mkrueger likes this.
  2. mkrueger

mkrueger Junior Member

I updated my macOS 12 VM to macOS 13 via Software Update and experienced a lockup during boot. I added boot flags (Hardware -> Boot Order -> Advanced...):
    devices.mac.boot_args="-v"
    This is where my system hangs up (see screenshot). Is this the same for you? Note that CPU is also 100%:
    screenshot.jpg

3. Carbonideus

Carbonideus Junior Member

Good idea to try verbose booting to diagnose the problem. What I did forget to mention in my previous post is that both of my macOS VMs (12 and 13) were suspended. In order to change the boot arguments I had to delete the suspended state, added the argument with the result that the VM subsequently started just fine. Parallels then proceeded to update the tools to the newest version and a reboot later the VM still worked fine.
    Suspecting that the suspended state might cause my problems, I force stopped a macOS 13 instance and this also resulted in a working VM.
    I can't speak to your situation, but it definitely seems like Parallels Desktop might have a problem with suspended VMs when updating to Ventura. Parallels support should take notice and maybe this could help others.
    Thanks for your suggestion.

4. mkrueger

mkrueger Junior Member

Happy to hear you are back up and running. I have had similar problems on other systems that were strangely fixed by a verbose boot. Usually I can go back to normal boot after the problem is solved.

I wish I could figure out how to get my VM running again. It just always gets stuck at the same place. This VM isn't easy to rebuild as it contains over 1TB of iOS device backups. Maybe I will start a new thread.

5. HanwenZ

HanwenZ Bit poster

How to delete suspend state exactly?