Layers of Problems
I wasn't clear in my post. Windows Vista runs as slow as mud on my MBP. In an earlier post, I asked youi guys if you could confirm if I indeed have four processors under the hood of this MBP, or if I have two processors paired together as one unit. So, how many chips I got? I'm pretty sure those specs tell me I have four chips, two units of two, but I want someone to verify this.
Windows XP ran with snap. Someone talked me into UG to Windows Vista Ultimate for the sake of networking at the offices I might visit. This OS is sloooow. It reminds me of Virtual PC on my old PowerMac 8500/120 in 1996. I thought, "Hey! If I only had three GB of RAM on the MBP, everyhing would be lovely in the garden!" This is the sort of thing sohoisticated end-users think. (HA! See how I spell "sophisticated"!)
Okay, so that's where the 3GB of memory comes in.
So, folks, was Windows Vista Ultimate a mistake?
Also, I have three LaCie 250GB backups. The local Apple Temple would only sell the 250's because of problems with other backup HD's. Now they eat crow b/c the 250's are breaking down and they have to rescue data from these external drives. They've pulled the LaCie's. Everyone gets a full refund plus free data recovery to prevent lawsuits. When these things decide to wake up and spin up, everything stops. Might or might not be slowing things, but I don't think this is it.
Vista had found my HP AIO InkJet 7410 by WiFi Bonjour. Found the LaserJet 1300n too. When I try to add the latter, it suddenly disappears and says that the LaserJet can't be found. I burned an installation disk and installed software, but this didn't help.
The HP AIO 7400 InkJet software comes with PhotoSmart scanning software. Vista can find the printer, but it can't find the scanner. Windows XP did with no problem.
Vista also yells at me that a package is missing. I hear about it every time I boot the VM and every time I try to open a program. Maybe I've saved the most likely culprit for last. Here is what I see all the time in Parallels with Windows Vista.
Thanks a lot folks.
-John