Microsoft Office unable to validate license in Virtual Windows 11 environment

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by AJG2, Mar 3, 2023.

1. AJG2

AJG2 Bit poster

Hi All,
    I've been running Microsoft Office with Parallels/Windows 11 on my M1 MBP for the past year or so. I've had varying degrees of connectivity issues inside of Excel/Word for the entire time but this is new. Just recently, every time I open an office program (usually excel) it will ask me to sign in to validate my office 365 subscription, and then give me an error message that "We are unable to connect right now. Please check your network and try again later". This is strange for a number of reasons. Right off the bat, the rest of the Windows VM has perfect connectivity with the rest of my programs and the web. Additionally, office itself is still able to check for and download product updates! So the part of office that runs the update process has connectivity, but the part that validates sign on and licensing has no connectivity.

So far I've tried:
    Refreshing Windows 11 Install
    Reinstalling Office
    Reinstalling Parallels tools
    Doing a bunch of network reset commands in the Command Prompt

I'm getting the sense that this is an office compatibility issue more than anything else at this point, but i'm unsure of how to proceed or what to try next. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

2. Ashley Chumun

Ashley Chumun Staff Member

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.

To let us better understand the situation, please perform the following steps:

1. Reproduce the issue.

2. Collect a technical report (click Parallels icon || > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID in a reply to this message.

Thanks!

3. AJG2

AJG2 Bit poster

Hi - Here is the 9 digit report ID: 420081146

4. Ashley Chumun

Ashley Chumun Staff Member

Greetings,
    Thank you for the provided Technical Report.
    As a possible solution, kindly follow the steps below:
    1. Open Parallels Desktop > Launch your Windows 11 Virtual Machine.
    2. Click on the Windows Start Icon > type command Prompt > right click on the Command Prompt Icon > Select Run as Administrator.
    3. Execute the below command:
    ipconfig /flushdns
    (You should get the message: Successfully Flushed the DNS Resolver Cache)
    4. Execute the next command below in the same Command Prompt window:
    netsh winsock reset
    (You should get the message: "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog. You must restart the computer in order to complete the reset.")
    5. Go ahead and restart the virtual machine.
    6. After restarting > Click on the Windows Icon > Type Control Panel and press Enter > Select Add and remove programs > click on Office 365 installation > click on Change button > Select Quick Repair.
    7. After completing the repair > restart the virtual machine > Try to reproduce the issue.
    8. If the issue still persists > While the virtual machine is still running > click on Devices menu on top of the mac menu bar > Select Network > Bridged Network > Default Adapter.
    9. Try to reproduce the issue again.
    10. Follow the official workaround mentioned in the link below:
    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/o...vation/issue-when-activate-office-365-proplus
    Best Regards!

CarlosR29 likes this.