Missing option for "Enable nested virtualization"

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Leon6, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Leon6

Leon6

I am trying to enable this feature, however it's not showing up where it's supposed to in the control center.
    I shut down the VM and this is exactly what it shows in my control center, in the picture attached.
    Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 8.20.50 PM.png

I am using an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020) with 3.1 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5 processor.
    Any help is greatly appreciated!

petera28 likes this.
  2. MartinB26

MartinB26 Bit Poster

Staff keeps ignoring this thread or what? Hey Parallels team, please give support, your documentation claims the option is there, but it's not. https://kb.parallels.com/en/125195

3. MartinB26

MartinB26 Bit Poster

4. DebasmitaM@Parallels

DebasmitaM@Parallels Staff Member

Hello Martin,
    Please make sure to give the below permissions for Parallels Desktop on Mac system preferences:
    - Click Apple icon -> System Preferences -> Security and Privacy -> Privacy Tab -> Accessibility -> Check (enable) Parallels Desktop
    Note: If the options are grayed out, please click the lock from the bottom left corner of the same window to unlock it
    - Click Apple icon -> System Preferences -> Security and Privacy -> Privacy Tab -> Full Disk Access -> Check (enable) Parallels Desktop
    After checking above please re install Parallels Tools. Refer to https://kb.parallels.com/4841 for re installing Parallels Tools.
    Thanks, Parallels Team.

5. benoitc3

benoitc3 Bit Poster

hi
    I have the same problem, every has been verified and reinstalled but nothing changed

6. MartinB26

MartinB26 Bit Poster

Thanks for attempting any help. Sadly, this is very embarrassing for you, because it seems you don't even know your product well enough to give support. I'm actually shocked, I had to figure it out by myself and it's so obvious, but not well documented. You have to own a Business license of Parallels to get this setting, the Home version won't feature nested virtualization.

7. MartinB26

MartinB26 Bit Poster

The Business version will feature this setting. They are unable to give proper support, so that I feel bad recommending the Business edition. It's really not worth throwing more money into them for such a terrible support.

I suggest you to find ways to get things done without nested virtualization. For instance, when you want to use the Linux Subsystem, you can setup Linux in a VM on your Mac in parallels instead and use shared drives to interconnect a file system to each other system. It should not be necessary to upgrade, I went that route in the end as well, it's much better performance wise as well.