Missing option for "Enable nested virtualization"

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Leon6, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Leon6

Leon6 Bit poster

I am trying to enable this feature, however it's not showing up where it's supposed to in the control center.
    I shut down the VM and this is exactly what it shows in my control center, in the picture attached.
    Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 8.20.50 PM.png

I am using an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020) with 3.1 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5 processor.
    Any help is greatly appreciated!

petera28 likes this.
  2. MartinB26

MartinB26 Member

Staff keeps ignoring this thread or what? Hey Parallels team, please give support, your documentation claims the option is there, but it's not. https://kb.parallels.com/en/125195

3. MartinB26

MartinB26 Member

4. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello Martin,
    Please make sure to give the below permissions for Parallels Desktop on Mac system preferences:
    - Click Apple icon -> System Preferences -> Security and Privacy -> Privacy Tab -> Accessibility -> Check (enable) Parallels Desktop
    Note: If the options are grayed out, please click the lock from the bottom left corner of the same window to unlock it
    - Click Apple icon -> System Preferences -> Security and Privacy -> Privacy Tab -> Full Disk Access -> Check (enable) Parallels Desktop
    After checking above please re install Parallels Tools. Refer to https://kb.parallels.com/4841 for re installing Parallels Tools.
    Thanks, Parallels Team.

5. benoitc3

benoitc3 Bit poster

hi
    I have the same problem, every has been verified and reinstalled but nothing changed

6. MartinB26

MartinB26 Member

Thanks for attempting any help. Sadly, this is very embarrassing for you, because it seems you don't even know your product well enough to give support. I'm actually shocked, I had to figure it out by myself and it's so obvious, but not well documented. You have to own a Business license of Parallels to get this setting, the Home version won't feature nested virtualization.

7. MartinB26

MartinB26 Member

The Business version will feature this setting. They are unable to give proper support, so that I feel bad recommending the Business edition. It's really not worth throwing more money into them for such a terrible support.

I suggest you to find ways to get things done without nested virtualization. For instance, when you want to use the Linux Subsystem, you can setup Linux in a VM on your Mac in parallels instead and use shared drives to interconnect a file system to each other system. It should not be necessary to upgrade, I went that route in the end as well, it's much better performance wise as well.

8. BrianG5

BrianG5 Bit poster

Well now this becomes more important as you need to have nested virtualization turned on to support Windows Subsystem for Android on Virtualized Windows 11 box. So does this mean that there is no longer a place for Home? As an independent contractor, that would really suck.

9. MartinB26

MartinB26 Member

You have a point here, Brian. I think you are forced to use something like Bluestack for macOS. It should run more efficient on the host system, even when it is not so integrated like WSA.

10. MartinB26

MartinB26 Member

Sorry, I have to correct myself. You can install Android on Parallels.

In either cases you lose the nice Coherence mode though.

11. BrianG5

BrianG5 Bit poster

Yep. Finally talked to someone at Parallels Business Support. "May I ask what WSA is?" Sigh

12. MartinB26

MartinB26 Member

Did you really do that? haha. They could've googled that pretty quick, but what do you expect from Parallels support. You are better off sending a link to this thread, but I doubt they will change their model. If you really can't otherwise, you need to get Business, hate to admit. They don't deserve your money.

13. GampaA@P

GampaA@P Pro

Hello @Leon6, please confirm us yo are using pro edition or standard edition?

14. KhaledC

KhaledC Bit poster

Hi @GampaA@Parallels I have the Parallels Desktop Pro 17 - Running on macOS Monterey 12.2.1 on an Apple M1 (ARM) MacBook Pro.

I cannot see the setting either? What am I missing?

Thx

15. KhaledC

KhaledC Bit poster

Screenshots for the Advanced dialog I get and the Parallels edition/version.

Parallels-VM-Advanced.png

Parallels-About.png

16. KhaledC

KhaledC Bit poster

I got the answer - It is NOT AVAILABLE on Apple M1-based devices anymore

It was removed starting with Parallels version 16.5.0 as details in Knowledge Base Article 125053
    "The following settings were removed from the virtual machine configuration in Parallels Desktop for Mac computers with the Apple M1 chip:
    • The Enable nested virtualization checkbox in the CPU & Memory pane.
    • The hypervisor selection in the CPU & Memory pane. All virtual machines are set to use the Apple hypervisor.
    • The Floppy Disk pane.
    "
    Bummer!