Modifier keys stopped working in RDP session from window-mode Parallels

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jdxjohn, Jun 11, 2018.

1. jdxjohn

jdxjohn Member

I run W10 as a guest OS in Parallels, to RDP into a W7 system. I noticed that this works find when my guest OS is in full-screen mode, but when it's windowed none of the modifier keys are received in the RDP session. They do work in the guest OS just not RDP.
    Further, it only happens when the RDP session is full-screen in the guest OS window. i.e. if I un-maximise the RDP to a window floating inside the guest OS window, it then works again!

I had it working recently but both Parallels and W10 have updated in the recent past. I'm struggling to figure out if this is a Parallels or RDP problem but the fact it works fullscreen is making me doubt Parallels.

Can anyone help me figure this out?

2. ErnestT1

ErnestT1 Bit poster

I'm not sure if this is what you are experiencing, but the shift key was not working for me in an RDP session from Windows. What solved this for me was to change a setting the in RDP connection before connecting:
    Show Options > Local Resource > Keyboard > On the remote computer (<--- change to this, from "only when using full screen")

3. Hi jdxjohn. You can try the steps from this article and check it if helps. The steps will work for Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac also.

4. jdxjohn

jdxjohn Member

So it turns out my LEFT shift key is working, but not my right shift key. It definitely used to work and it only doesn't work when RDP is maximised in a windowed Parallels session. I can't find any obvious keyboard settings to explain/fix this. I have a regular Windows UK keyboard.