Monterey and Ventura Guests Fail to Update

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by ParallelsU1130, Apr 20, 2023.

1. ParallelsU1130

ParallelsU1130 Bit poster

Hi all,

I run an automation lab on three Apple Silicon Mac Minis using Parallels for virtualization of Monterey and Ventura for testing purposes. I am trying (and failing) to upgrade Monterey from 12.6.3 to 12.6.5 and Ventura from 13.2.1 to 13.3.1.

I have used multiple M1 machines to attempt to upgrade these VMs and they fail consistently.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Launch the VM and login as an Admin (automatic login is enabled on these machines)
    2. Apple menu > System Preferences > Software Update (General > Software Update on Ventura)
    3. Select the updates and choose to install them. Enter the admin password. Wait around for the download to complete, then click restart.

RESULT: The computer restarts, the installation appears to proceed, then the VM just shuts down. When the VM reboots it will either boot up without the update installed or not boot up at all.

I have tried:
    1. Removing config.ini
    2. Using three different Macs (two minis and one MacBook Pro)
    3. Attaching a screen and keyboard, detaching the screen and keyboard
    4. Launching the VM via the command line prl_macvm_app --openvm
    5. Launching the VM via the Parallels GUI.
    6. Installing the OS update via the standalone installer OS installer

Nothing I've tried has worked. Help me, Obi Wan, you're my only hope. If anyone has advice I'd be grateful.

2. Maxim Rasulov

Maxim Rasulov Staff Member

Hello.

Among the used Mac devices, do any of them running latest Ventura on the host? If you are running Monterey on hosts, please try to reproduce the issue on Ventura host.

In case if the issue can be replicated on Ventura host, please collect a technical report after reproduction (click Parallels icon || > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID in a reply.

3. ParallelsU1130

No, none of the machines are running the latest Ventura. The hosts are production machines in a private network so I do not keep them updated all the time. Can you please take a look at support ticket #4059812 for the Technical Report I sent in earlier?

4. ParallelsU1130

Monday Update:
    I updated one of my hosts to Ventura 13.3.1 and was able to use it to update the Ventura VM to 13.3.1.
    I updated another of my hosts to Monterey 12.6.5 but still cannot update the Monterey 12.6.3 VM to Monterey 12.6.5.
    Neither of these hosts is able to update the Monterey VM. See Technical Report 422516825 for details from the Monterey host and 423509431 for the Ventura host.

5. EdH8

EdH8 Bit poster

I am experiencing the same issues with Monterey 12.6.3 VM upgrading to 12.6.5 on my Ventura 13.3.1 host. The upgrade leaves the formerly functioning Monterey VM never starting up when you attempt to start it The referred techinical report 423509431

6. MartialT

MartialT Bit poster

With Parallels Desktop 18.3.0-53606 I am experiencing almost the same issue with Monterey 12.6.3 VM upgrading to 12.6.6 on my Monterey 12.6.6 host.

The update goes smoothly (a priori...) but after that the Monterey VM remains in 12.6.3.

Updated twice, same problem twice...