Moved virtual machine to external drive. Now Windows applications won't connect

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by PatrickG10, Dec 18, 2018.

1. PatrickG10

PatrickG10 Bit poster

I'm running Parallels Desktop 14 on a Mac running Mojave. In order to reclaim some hard drive space on my Mac I copied my .pvm to an external flash drive. When I try to start a Windows application now - specifically Quicken 2017 - I get the message "Windows 10 with the QuickenWindow application cannot be found. It has been either deleted or moved to another location. If "Windows 10" is still on your Mac, please find and start it."

My original .pvm was called Window 10. When it copied over it was labeled Windows 10 (1). Changing the name of it back to Windows 10 does not correct the problem.

I've also moved the "Windows 10 Applications" folder to the external flash drive as well, but that doesn't solve the problem.

Thanks for any advice on how to re-associate my Windows applications back to my virtual machine.

2. kat

kat Product Expert

Have you tried to navigate to your .pvm file from parallels desKtop(upper left corner near the apple)>file>open>Select your thumb drive>Windows 10.pvm

See if that helps

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    PatrickG10 likes this.
  3. PatrickG10

PatrickG10 Bit poster

That does seem to be a cleaner way to start it than what I was doing - clicking directly on the .pvm icon. It also eliminated some warning messages I got about using excess memory and missing private settings.

I was able to get Quicken to work by starting Windows, opening Quicken within the Windows Start Menu, which opened a new icon in the Mac dock that was associated with the move. I just deleted the old Quicken dock icon and it appears to be working now.

Thanks for your help.

4. kat

kat Product Expert

Your welcome, I am glad I could help.