Moving/Cloning Boot Camp to VM on Mac

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by jred55, Feb 12, 2013.

1. jred55

jred55 Junior Member

Hi, I am using Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac and already have a vm set up for boot camp (ie; accessing the boot camp partition). I have decided to do away with boot camp and just want to create a parallels vm to run Win7 on the mac.

Where I am totally confused is whether there's a way to clone or migrate (ie; create an exact copy of the boot camp installation into this new vm)?

I tried running the transporter in the boot camp vm and selecting File–Migrate from parallels on the Mac and it seemed to work until it couldn't find a boot disk and just sat there.

Being a newbie, this has totally thrown me as all I want to do is to duplicate my current boot camp installation into a new vm without losing any settings or data.

Is this possible? There seems to be a lot of content around and it's just confusing the hell out of me.

Appreciate any help/guidance.

Thanks, Julian

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

1. Right-click (Control-click) the Boot Camp version of Windows in the Parallels Virtual Machines list and choose Import Boot Camp. Note: Windows must be shut down.
    2. Click Import.
    3. Locate where you want to store Windows and your data, and then click Choose. Windows and all your data are imported from Boot Camp. You can still use the original Boot Camp Windows installation, separately from Parallels Desktop.