Moving Parallels

Discussion in 'Parallels Website and Forum' started by DAYLEC, Jun 21, 2011.

1. DAYLEC

DAYLEC Bit poster

I have Parallels 6 Desktop for Mac on a MacBook, I want to move it to a new iMac.
    Ultimately I don't need it on both computers just on the new iMac. However, I would like to load it on the new iMac first and temporarily be able to use it on the MacBook. Only until I have everything migrated and usable on the iMac.

Is this possible or will I have to move it and not use it again on my MacBook?

Also, is there an instruction page somewhere on how to transfer Parallels 6 from one computer to another?

Thank you,
    DCC

2. LiudmilaA

LiudmilaA Bit poster

Dear DAYLEC,

According to the licensing policy for Parallels Desktop 6, one activation key for the product can be used to activate only one copy of Parallels Desktop.

You can install Parallels Desktop 6 on your new iMac and activate it with a trial activation key to have two copies of Parallels Desktop 6 activated and migrate all your data to your new computer.

Once you finish migration, please completely uninstall Parallels Desktop from your MacBook. After that please activate Parallels Desktop 6 on your iMac with your permanent activation key.

Trial activation key has been sent to you in a private message.

3. OldSchool

OldSchool Bit poster

I want to move it to a new iMac, from Parallels 6 Desktop for Mac on a MacBook

4. Richard45

Richard45 Bit poster

I have just moved all my files from an old macbook pro running Leopard to macbook air running Lion. I can't connect to my original VPM and get the message: 'Trying to boot from primary master ide drive ...' then 'Errore nel caricamento del sistema operativo' (means 'error in loading the operating system'). I tried creating a new VPM, which works, but then it doesn't have any of my original files and windows and other software require a new registration. I can see my old files in 'Windows XP Applications' on my new Mac but when I click one of them the message comes up: 'The application is installed in a virtual machine that cannot be located. Make sure that the virtual machine hasn't been deleted or moved to another location.' I have Parallels 6 and I don't want to use Parallels on my old computer any more. Bear in mind that I know very little about computers. (That's why I have a Mac!) Help would be very much appreciated.