Multiple display /Library/Preferences/ByHost compatibility

ed209

Bit poster
I regularly switch between different external displays, projectors, and standalone macbook pro usage.

Parallels already relocates itself when you disconnect an external monitor, but it's really a pain to deactivate Coherence, move the window, and reactivate Coherence every time I change my display configuration.

I would really like Parallels to remember display and Coherence preferences when this happens, or at least provide an Applescriptable way of switching these preferences without user intervention so people could 'roll their own' automation.

In order of preference it would be cool if Parallels either:

1. Remembered the exact display configuration for a given display availability using the ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost mechanism just like desktop pictures does.

2. Remembered if it was on the primary display or not, relocating itself to a secondary display whenever one becames available dynamically

3. Provided an Applescript dictionary to change the display and mode (ie windowed, coherence, full screen)


Love your product.
 
Let us try with this simple script

tell application "Parallels Desktop"
activate

end tell
tell application "System Events"
tell process "Parallels Desktop"
tell menu bar 1
tell menu bar item "View"
tell menu "View"
click menu item "Single Window"
end tell
end tell
end tell
end tell
end tell
 
This is using accessibility events I guess - Parallels itself seems like it isn't scriptable. So (correct me if I'm wrong) a script can't figure out what mode the app is in, it can't know window coordinates or reset them, and it's also not going to fire automatically when the display topology changes.
If you can figure out something that addresses all of these I guess this approach would do as a stopgap.
 
Back
Top