Must click dock icon many times

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jasimon9, Jul 22, 2012.

1. jasimon9

jasimon9 Member

After the system has been sitting idle for a while, the Parallels dock icon seems to become non-responsive. This is in Lion, and Parallels Build 7.0.15104 on a 2007 iMac 2.8Ghz.

I understand that normally you have to click on the dock icon twice: once to give Parallels the focus, and a second time to open the Windows Start Menu. However this is not always the case and sometimes a single click will do.

However I suspect that after a period of inactivity, Parallels "yields resources" or has gone to sleep and the execution image becomes swapped out. It just takes a long time to reload it. So that it does not matter how many clicks you do, it just won't become active for a long time, say 20 - 40 seconds. So in fact it may only still need the two clicks, but then you have to wait a really long time. When this happens, then Windows programs also take a long time to load, as they also appear to be still swapped out after the VM is active. And Parallels appears non-responsive during this time.

It seems that user interfaces are not supposed to work this way. What other program works this way? At least the dock icon bounces if they are taking a long time to start up.

If there is no solution to the long wait time to reactivate the swapped out VM, I would suggest that at least the dock icon should bounce during this long wait time while the virtual memory image of the VM has to be reloaded. This would make the behavior consistent with what every other program does.

Or maybe it is just a bug.