My Win XP System Restore is disabled?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by parapolly, Apr 14, 2011.

1. parapolly

parapolly Bit poster

Hi,
    I'm running Windows XP Pro SP2 under Parallels 6.0.11994 on an iMac running OSX10.6.7
    I cannot enable the System Restore function in Windows, if I click on Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore I get the following message:
    "System Restore has been turned off by group policy. To turn on System Restore, contact your domain Administrator".

This is very weird as I always run as administrator and system restore has never been available, I've looked several times over the various versions of Parallels I've had. I've had this XP Pro as a virtual machine since I first started with Parallels (version 3 or earlier).

I haven't worried about it before as I have a good Mac back up routine.

However, recently, my wife, who also runs Parallels with Win XP Pro on her Mac Powerbook Pro, had occasion to do a Win XP Pro system restore and I told her it wasn't available under Parallels. Turns out I was wrong as she has it enabled and was able to restore successfully.
    I had assumed that something in Parallels had disabled it and that it wasn't available being a virtual machine. I have searched high and low in XP and cannot find any way to enable System Restore.

Is it something in Parallels causing this?

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,
    Dave.