MySQL Connector / ODBC for Win 11 ARM

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by PeterM53, Feb 22, 2022.

1. RichardH43

RichardH43 Bit poster

I have had contact with Paralles support. They pointed me to https://kb.parallels.com/en/112983 and https://forum.parallels.com/threads/mysql-connector-odbc-for-win-11-arm.356741/ (This thread).

All 7 possible solutions were tested:
    1. The VM and MySql ODBC driver meet all system requirements. Microsoft 64bit C++ Redistributable 2015-2022 is installed which supports 2017 requirements of the driver.
    2. Isolate Windows from Mac to exclude Mac OS X influence: Same problem.
    3. Search Google for the 3rd party program: Suggestions involve older ODBC driver versions with different redistributables. I've tried three different versions and three different redistributables all of which exhibit the same issue.
    4. Create new user account in Windows and try to reproduce the issue. Same problem.
    5. Reinstall the third-party program: Same problem over and over again.
    6. Pay attention to file destinations of this third-party program. I have installed the ODBC driver on my own Windows 10 Home PC both from network and local with no problem. I have tried to install both from the networked and shared drives and locally on the VM. Both exhibit the same problem.
    7. If a third-party program does not install or does not start, create new (= one more) virtual machine with the same OS and check the issue. I installed a second VM with Windows 11, installed the Microsoft 64 bit Microsoft C++ Redistributable 2015-2022 then attempted to install the MySQL ODBC driver. Same problem exists on the new Parallels VM.

I also downloaded a trial version of a commercial 64 bit MySql ODBC driver from Devart. It too exhibited the same issue. I contacted their support too. When they learned it was on Parallels they said they do not support Parallels. Fair enough. It likely works on a real Windows system. I know the Oracle MySQL Connector installs on a Windows 10 PC without issues because I did that.

Parallels support now suggests contacting Oracle support...

So starts the runaround. What do you think Oracle is going to say about this? Does it work on real Windows? Yes. We're done.

Now about this thread...
    There is confusion over if an ARM64 or x64 version of of VCR should be installed. Parallels is a Windows VM, therefore it should be treated as a Windows system. Drivers and VCR should all be x64. Oracle does not have an ARM64 version of the MySQL Connector.

Amanda1:
    Obviously installed a 32 bit version. Fare enough. The x86 installs without issues for me too.

RandallQ:
    I cannot explain why RandallQ's worked. I found Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2022 Redistributable (x64) - 14.32.31332 at https://www.geeks3d.com/dl/show/10091 and installed it. No luck with x64 MySql ODBC Connector 8.0.31 nor with 8.0.30. I have x86, x64 and ARM64 versions of VCR all installed, same error. I have tried x64 and ARM64 installed individually, same error. The only difference I can see from testing RandallQ's solution is he is using a Mac Studio M1 Max whereas mine is a MacBook Pro M1. Surely it can't mean I need a Mac Studio M1 Max to get an ODBC driver working.

DamaniB:
    Like MihailM1 said, "There is no way you were able to install 64-bit MySQL Connector with x86 Visual C++ Redist." It is likely a 32 bit version of MySQL Connector was installed. If an existing x64 VCR was already on the system and a x64 MySQL was indeed installed, then DamaniB is another unicorn like RandallQ. In that case we would interested to know what version and build of x64 VCR was installed and .

Other than 1 or possibly 2 unicorns, there is no answer here. It is unlikely this issue will ever get resolved. Parallels is evidently not interested in getting to the bottom of this. I'm not wasting any more time on trying to get a x64 version installed. I will sooner get a Windows laptop in order to get my work done than spin my wheels with Parallels. But hey, I can use PowerBI to make reports. I just can't read data with it. How handy is that?

2. RichardH43

RichardH43 Bit poster

SUCCESS! Albeit not with a free ODBC driver.

I downloaded a MySQL ODBC driver from https://www.cdata.com/download/getf...&name=MySQL ODBC Driver&tag=Download-odbc&t=1 for a trial. It installed successfully. It has its own configuration app that starts once the ODBC driver is installed. I am not able to configure this driver using the ODBC 64 bit Administrator with the same old error 193. Since it installed successfully and I configured it correctly (test connection was successful) I started PowerBI and I successfully pulled in the data.

I have both x64 VCR and ARM64 VCR installed.
    upload_2022-11-17_8-39-17.png

And the driver shows up as:

upload_2022-11-17_8-42-34.png

Using 64 bit ODBC Administrator shows the installed driver but clicking the Configure... button results in:

upload_2022-11-17_8-58-27.png

But thanks to the installation allowing the configuration, I was successfully able to connect to my MySQL database and pull the data into PowerBI.

3. RichardH43

RichardH43 Bit poster

It appears that I am wrong about needing drivers and VCR being x64 versions. Apparently ARM64 versions are necessary. I had tested using only the ARM64 VCR installed which work in that I could attempt to install MySQL ODBC Connection x64 although it did not work (error 193). Both need to be ARM64 versions. I have contacted MySQL support to request a Windows ARM64 version of MySQL ODBC Connector but I doubt Oracle will support that. If you can do your work exclusively on MacOS, then you are better off. I cannot because I use PowerBI which does not have a Mac version. I have a working driver listed in my previous post but it costs about $50/month...ouch! I can't be paying that much so I am resorting to getting a Windows laptop and abandoning Parallels until this issue is fixed.

4. WalterF4

WalterF4 Bit poster

Does in the meantime a free MySQL-Connector for Windows11 arm under Mac exist? Thanks a lot in advance!

5. DominikR3

DominikR3 Bit poster

I have had an issue with Amazon Redshift ODBC drivers. Couldn't get the free drivers to instal.
    Using the CData drivers worked. They are good, albeit, quite expensive. But of you need it for work, CData seems to be the way to go right now.

6. MichelR

MichelR Bit poster

I've somehow managed to install the 32-bit driver (the free one from Oracle). However, the ODBC Data Sources application was still the 64-bit one and therefore was throwing an error when trying to configure the data source.
    I tracked down the 32-bit ODBC Data Sources application: "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe" and executed it. I was able to configure my MySQL data source (on a remote server). I have a crappy MS-Access application that relies on it and it's able to use it. I have the 64-bit version of Microsoft 365 but that doesn't seem to be a problem (I did try installing 365 32-bit as part of the troubleshooting process, but was getting the same type of errors described in this thread anyway).

NK_1 likes this.
  7. TobiaN

TobiaN Bit poster

8. TheSaiyanOfLegend

TheSaiyanOfLegend Bit poster

Best Answer
    Hey guys, I figured this out. Everyone who wants MySQL to work on Windows 11 in parallels, you have to think out the box. Jk. I stumbled across this fix by using PowerBI which requires you to use the .Net MySQL drivers... well guess what... those same .Net drivers work in Excel allowing you to use the Get Data > From Database > From MySQL Database in excel.... here's the link that will solve all your problems :D Be sure to restart your PC when done installing.

MySQL :: Download Connector/NET <-- Be sure to select Windows and you'll see mysql-connector-net-8.0.32.msi.

Yes, it says 32bit... and Yes, it works fantastic on my M2 Macbook pro... proof? Look at this.

upload_2023-4-13_6-18-17.png

upload_2023-4-13_6-21-47.png

Attached Files:

CordellJ likes this.
  9. Johan10

Johan10 Bit poster

Sorry has anyone found a solution to the problem ? with Installing odbc drivers on ARM in paralelles ?

10. MarkR36

MarkR36 Bit poster

Alternatively have a look at "How To Install SQL Server on Mac M1 & M2 | Latest for 2022"

11. Vladimir6

Vladimir6 Bit poster

Hi I have similar problem, but with Oracle ODBC, not MySQL. Does somebody have any experience?

12. LukasK10

LukasK10 Bit poster

I am searching for a solution to this for almost a year now. My scenario is the following: I have to use a complex Excel tool programmed for Windows that doesn't work with Excel for Mac and is used to sync data with a mySQL database. The tool uses the mySQL ODBC Connector.

I managed to get it to run with 32bit versions of the Connector and Excel, but because of the size of the tool Excel runs into errors all the time with 32bit - I am not sure if there is anything I could do about that.

So I am still looking for a possibility to get the problem fixed. Does any of you have an idea, apart from the expensive driver from CDATA - which I can't find anymore via the link in this tread, by the way? I tried various tips in this thread, but none of them seemed to work.

13. DavidH80

DavidH80 Junior Member

Its NOT a Parallels ISSUE!
    The situation is quite shocking! Neither MySQL nor MariaDB provide installers for Windows arm64 architecture. Now obviously you can run the x64 version of the SQL server - it may be a bit slower than a native arm64 version of course. OF COURSE if like me you happen have native arm64 applications THEN you are left completely and utterly in the lurch! The thing is that whether you want to use the C (or C++) connector or use via ODBC you need the ODBC (or other connector) to be of the same architecture as your program. In other words if you have a 32 bit program it must use a 32 bit connector, similarly an x64 program must use the x64 connector AND it follows of course that an Arm64 program needs an Arm64 connector. MySQL and MariaDB ONLY provide x86 and x64 but not ARM64!!! Its not the only ODBC connector missing for Windows arm64 as PostgreSQL don't provide any Windows arm64 binaries either surprisingly nor do Oracle. If you use MS SQL then your are in luck but that's about it! Come on MariaDB and MySQL how about providing binaries for this platform?? You both have open tickets requesting this! PostgreSQL - you too!! We don't really want to wait forever!

StefanS50 likes this.
  14. BenA10

BenA10 Bit poster

I found this thread while fighting the same issue, and I found a work-around that doesn't require the CData driver :D. I was at the point of giving up when I discovered that I can successfully configure data sources through Microsoft Access, which is included with Office 365. I am using the MySQL ODBC 8.3 x64 driver.

Steps (see attached screen shots):
    1. Create a new database, select the "external data" toolbar, and add a new ODBC database data source
    2. Select "Link to the data source by creating a linked table"
    3. In the "Select Data Source" window choose the "Machine Data Source Tab" and then click the "New..." button. I get an error about administrator permissions but I dismiss it and can still add a user data source.
    4. Select MySQL ODBC 8.3 ANSI Driver and configure as you normally would in the system tool!
    I am able to view the SQL tables from within Access. Alas, my end application (Altium) is still having problems, but I think that's a second issue (maybe because "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers" is missing).

Hope this helps!
    -Ben

Attached Files:

StefanS50 likes this.
  15. CordellJ

CordellJ Bit poster

For anyone still scrolling, this is the solution. TheSaiyanOfLegend, may I hope you always find the cold side of the pillow -- namaste. :)

16. LuisD9

LuisD9 Bit poster

PROBLEM SOLVED! it was even not complicate to find the solution.

The executable odbcad32.exe.mui was missing in the file C:\Windows\SysWOW64 so, I found the file in the C:\Windows\System32 and copied as administrator and pasted in C:\Windows\SysWOW64, and the problem disappear, drivers working find and I could finally connect to the Database to work with BI.