Nag screens in PD4 cannot be turned off

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Maciej, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Maciej

Maciej Junior Member

A few users seem to have reported it by now, but I saw no effective solution yet.

Parallels Desktop for Mac 4 displays marketing announcements about a new version and they seem impossible to turn off. I turned auto-update off to no avail. I select "do not show again" each time. I looked at application setting and VM settings. Still no way to disallow PD to "phone home".

These nag screens come once a month or so, but they are very frustrating, because Parallels make my computer do something that I do not want it to do.

@Parallels:
    If this is your policy, it is impolite.
    I purchased PD2, then upgraded to PD3 and PD4. Registered them all.
    So I have now paid for the full product twice.
    I feel that I should be entitled to use it in peace, and decide on future upgrades (if any) on my own.

If this is a bug, not your policy, please tell me!
    And please tell me how to fix it. I would appreciate a suggestion other than "try uninstalling and re-installing" just to see if it works.
    I could hardly see if it works, because there is no telling when the next nag might come.

My PD4 build number is 4.0.3848 (Wed, 14 Oct, 2009).

Maciej.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  2. Maciej

Maciej Junior Member

Found a solution!

It looks like I have found a solution. Ir requires a router though (or a customizable firewall).
    I turned on router logging and found that the "offer" was displayed after contacting www.parallels.com.
    So I blocked that address in the router settings.

Time will show if that fixed the problem.

Still, I believe that such "special offers" that a user cannot easily turn off are a sign of bad marketing.
    At least my case suggests that:
    I was a long-time, happy Parallels user and now I decided to leave Parallels and switch to another product at the next system upgrade.

3. FUCK PARALLELS

FUCK PARALLELS Bit poster

I would propose a somewhat different solution.

The version of Parallels that I have now works fine, and doesn't nag me. When the time comes that I really
    need to upgrade, if Parallels hasn't pulled their heads out of wherever they have them now, I'll simply switch
    to a competing product.

I learned about this behavior while I was considering an upgrade. Not gonna happen now, and unless things
    change, not gonna happen ever. It is 100% unacceptable to me that Parallels would even consider installing
    nagware on my computer, and their refusal to even comment about the practice, let alone not offer a way to
    disable the nags, is also 100% unacceptable to me.