Need Advice on Upgrading Parallels, Windows 7 and Quickbooks?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by EdgemontF, Feb 3, 2015.

1. EdgemontF

EdgemontF Member

Hello, I have been running Parallels 9.0 for a little over a year so I can run Windows 7 and Quickbooks 2012. I am running this on an iMac running OS 10.8.5 Mountain Lion. This has been fine all this time (barring the constant "Windows is not genuine" pop ups because I used a previous version from the old Dell that had been running the Quickbooks.) This changed a couple of weeks ago as Quickbooks 2012 had an issue that basically is necessitating my finally upgrading. I am a longtime Mac user and not much of a PC or Windows user, so my knowledge on that is very limited.

I went ahead and bought a new Windows 7 disc so I can finally install a fresh version and stop the pop-ups. I don't know if this is a good time to also upgrade to the latest version of Parallels. I also need to buy and download the new Quickbooks 2015 as they are retiring 2012 and my accountants want us to switchover.

So I am here asking what exact order I should do this?
    I do not really need to upgrade to Yosemite but will if necessary, would rather not if its going to add another layer of problems. Should I upgrade to Mavericks?
    Should I first upgrade Parallels? or should I leave it at Parallels 9?
    How do I "reinstall" Windows 7 if I am already running Windows 7?

I'm thinking I can just backup my files and then leave my Parallels 9 alone, and just treat this as if I were installing Windows 7, assuming that Windows will let you over-write an existing version - or will it say I am already running it?

I know I would do the Quickbooks update last.

Any advice on all this is greatly appreciated as I am afraid to do anything! LOL!!!

Thank you!

2. Maheesh@Parallels

Maheesh@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi Edgemo,
    Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac is designed to work with OS X 10.10, Yosemite.
    As a Parallels Desktop 9 user, you can purchase the upgrade version of Parallels Desktop 10 from our website : http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/
    System requirements for Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac is available at : http://kb.parallels.com/en/122662
    Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac will also work with OS X 10.10, Yosemite.
    To install the upgrade version of Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac, please follow the steps as given at : http://kb.parallels.com/122647
    You can either upgrade your Mac OS X first and then install Parallels Desktop 10 or you can do the other way as well.
    Before upgrading your Mac OS X to Yosemite, make sure to have backup of the existing Virtual Machine ( Windows 7.pvm )
    The .PVM file contains the the windows operating system, files, folders and the applications that you have installed in it.
    To locate the Virtual Machine on your Mac, please follow the steps as given at http://kb.parallels.com/117333
    To install the updates for Quickbooks please check with their support once in order to make sure that you install the update in the correct way.
    Before upgrading your Mac OS X to Yosemite, please check with Apple Support to make sure your Mac has been backed up correctly so that you do not
    loose any of your information.
    Feel free to reach us if you have any additional questions.

3. EdgemontF

EdgemontF Member

4. EdgemontF

EdgemontF Member

Thanks Maheesh for your response, but this is not what I was asking. I am not interested in Yosemite or having to upgrade to Parallels 10 if I don't have to.

I mainly need to know:

1. How to install a new OEM version of Windows 7 when I already have Windows 7 running. I need to get rid of these CONSTANT popups telling me I'm not running legitimate Windows 7. This isn't an upgrade, its installing Windows 7 when there is already Windows 7 running.

2. If I reinstall the new CD of Windows 7 will this over write all my Microsoft Office and Quickbooks software? If so, I assume I will have to reinstall all that, yes? If I don't have to do that, it would be wonderful as I would rather not lose all my settings etc.

3. I presume that once I do all this, I can just upgrade my Quickbooks to their new version like anyone normally would, so that's not an issue.

4. If I understood your reply, I do not have to have Parallels 10.

Any help you or anyone can give me on the above questions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!