Need help with the graphic card in Parallels

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by RachelL1, May 31, 2018.

1. RachelL1

RachelL1 Member

Hi, I'm using Parallels on Windows 10 and just had to update my Rhino 3D CAD software (Rhino6), since then Parallels cannot manage the preview windows anymore (it was working fine on Rhino 5) as Raytracing mode makes heavy use of the graphic card, (black windows, jumping drawings when zooming and a really bad looking model...)
    I contacted the Rhino support for help, but they don't support Parallels, they recommended to me to work on VMware or for a real stable environment to go on Bootcamp, but that is not really what I want, any chance you can help me here? would be great to get a reply, kind Regards Rachel

JasonS18 likes this.
  2. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Let us know if that application needs any special requirements like Open GL, DirectX.

3. RachelL1

RachelL1 Member

Hi, it says Disk Space 600MB disk space, Memory RAM 8+GB recommended, Hardware Apple hardware is supported with Bootcamp, No more than 63 CPU Cores, OpenGL 4.1 capable video card recommended. But on Rhino 5 this have been the same requirements and this was working smoothly. Does this helps? do you need any other information? Thanks Kind Regards Rachel

4. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Parallels Desktop only provides OpenGL core profile (version 3.2) support for Windows virtual machines. Refer to this article for more information.

5. RachelL1

RachelL1 Member

Thanks for your reply, this article dates from February 2013, do you have a idea if you can support OpenGL 4.1 in the next time? any time schedule planned? as I have at the moment 4 of my main programmes I work with that requires OpenGL 4.1, if Parallels will not support this in the near future I will be forced to work with Bootcamp or VMware, hope for some good news? Kind Regards Rachel

6. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Unfortunately, we do not have any information when OpenGL 4.1 will be supported. You can subscribe to the article so you will get an update if there are any changes.

7. TomK12

TomK12 Bit poster

I also am running Rhino6 on Win 10 Pro 64bit on Parallels 14 on my Mac, and am having some graphics issues. Above you claimed that Parallels 14 supports OpenGL 3.2 (OpenGL Extensions Browser reports 3.3), but Rhino6 only reports accessing the following:

Parallels using NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M OpenGL Engine
    OpenGL version: 2.1 NVIDIA-10.32.0 355.11.10.10.40.102
    Render version: 2.1

Can you explain why that is and if there is something I can do to get Rhino to use the full supported OpenGL?

I have Win 10 running with 8G memory, and auto graphics memory, which give me 4Gb.

8. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Parallels Desktop 14 currently provides OpenGL support for several applications including: 1.) SketchUp 2017/2018 2.) CTVox 3.) DIALux 8 4.) OriginLab.

Parallels Engineering team keeps working on extending the list of supported applications that required OpenGL 3.3 or higher. Unfortunately, we do not have an ETA for this.

Please post your suggestion/vote here, mentioning the program(s) you use which need OpenGL support.

9. NathanY

NathanY Bit poster

Hi
    Has there been an update to this? Im also experiencing graphic issues in Rhino