.Net Framework 3.5 Installation Issues

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by GerryN, Aug 15, 2014.

1. GerryN

GerryN Junior Member

(Apologies if this posting is in the wrong forum.)

As a result of a memory upgrade on my iMac I have had to reinstall Win 8.1 (as an upgrade from Win XP and then install Win 8 and free upgrade to Win 8.1).

One program (Ancestral Sources) requires .Net Framework 3.5 but despite all efforts Win 8.1 will not load the required files. Following the instructions on the MS site I have tried to enable .Net Framework via Programs and Features and also using the command line. I have tried re-configuring the Policies and done a check of the installation using the MS program. All methods have failed and my only hope is someone who can come up with a solution that I have not tried or suggest what I may have done wrong.

To keep this post reasonably short I have only outlined the actions I have taken but can (I hope) replicate my actions if required.

2. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

3. GerryN

GerryN Junior Member

Thanks for that link Abdul. I will give it a try but as I am now going to be away for a few days it may be the end of next week before I can let you know if it works.

4. Manoj@Parallels

Manoj@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hello Gerry,

Please feel free to reach us, if you need any further assistance with this issue. We're happy to help!

5. GerryN

GerryN Junior Member

Thank you, Manoj. I won't be able to do any further testing this week but will let you know how I get on when I get back to my computer.

6. GerryN

GerryN Junior Member

I have just had an opportunity to go through the instructions in http://kb.parallels.com/117703

Firstly, this KB article does not describe my problem. I am trying to install .net framework 3.5 as this is required by a particular program (Ancestral Sources). Version 3.5 of .net framework is listed in "Turn Windows features on or off" but trying to enable it just leads me in an endless circle, with Win 8.1 saying it cannot complete the action.

However, I did try following the instructions in the KB article but no .net framework program is listed in the "Uninstall or change a program" so cannot be deleted. Version 4 is however installed and shows in "Turn Windows features on or off" where it can be disabled and re-enabled.

I would be grateful for further advice as to how I can get .net framework 3.5 installed.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  7. GerryN

GerryN Junior Member

Well, after getting more and more frustrated at not finding a solution I tried Microsoft chatline and got put on to Tech Support. After a brief chat they informed me that I needed to pay $99. S***f that! In the end I put the Win 8 Pro installation disc in the CD slot and reloaded. That went OK so I was back with Win 8 instead of 8.1. Anyway, loaded up the relevant software and got the usual complaint that .Net Framework 3.5 was needed. Went to "Turn Windows features on or off" and clicked the relevant tick box and lo and behold the software was downloaded and installed. Software now runs. Next task is to see if I can load Win 8.1 without upsetting the applecart. Must set a restore point first!