Networking issue: Unable to reach open ports.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by thoughtfix, Feb 14, 2007.

1. thoughtfix

thoughtfix Junior Member

SOLVED!

Okay this is what happened:
    I uninstalled Windows Live OneCare before I migrated the laptop over to the VM using LapLink PCMover. When I was using the new virtual machine, I did not have OneCare on it. My Linux experiment above proved to me that it HAD to be Windows that's the problem but no amount of firewall settings could fix it for me. I disabled and removed firewalls, Windows Defender, etc.

Finally, I REINSTALLED OneCare to see if that would fix it. Once I opened the ports in OneCare, it worked perfectly!

Beware the REMOVAL of Windows Live OneCare, my friends!

2. leejsci

leejsci Member

Dear Thoughtfix

Good morning to you and great JOB!!!!

JL

3. thoughtfix

thoughtfix Junior Member

I spoke too soon:
    I am now able to RDC into the the Virtual Machine from anywhere inside the network, but not from outside. I'll keep working on it. The firewall configuration on my WRT54G and pass-through works (I know because I can VNC into my Mac) but I still can't RDC from outside on the Internet to my virtual Windows box.

---Dan

4. thoughtfix

thoughtfix Junior Member

Fast and simple solution to all NAT, firewall, and address translation issues: I bought a $14 USB to Ethernet adapter and mounted it in Windows. Works great. Sure it only gets 11 mbit/sec, but that's faster than my broadband for Internet and large file transfers just use shared folders.

5. DJ-GROBE

DJ-GROBE Member