New Mac - We Need Virtual OS/2 v4.52

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Mike Ryan, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Merlin

Merlin Bit poster

Hi Mike,

I don't have a Mac yet (iMac 24" is on the way :)
    I am using OS/2 (or eCS) right now, and have been for the past 18 years,
    so do have some tips for you.

For sharing files between MAC and OS/2 I would use the SMB protocol (Like a windows client would) by having the SAMBA server running on the MAC, and connect to one or more 'shares' from that from the OS/2 client. That client is present on OS/2, and you probably have installed it already.

That client is most likely started from the 'Startup foler', when not you can also
    start it from the networking Icons, or use the command 'net start requester'

However, from an earlier post I noticed you have TWO protocols bound to your network card,
    one being the TCP/IP (good) the other being 'IBM OS/2 NETBIOS' (not good).
    For SAMBA you need to use 'IBM OS/2 NETBIOS over TCP/IP'.

The bare 'NETBIOS' is not supported by SAMBA AFAIK.

You can delete the incorrect one, then add the right one in the MPTN networking dialog,
    that you can start from the GUI somewhere, or simply by typing the command 'MPTS'

After that, you may need to tweak some settings in the configuration file for this,
    which is in \IBMLAN\IBMLAN.INI

This defines the machinename, and workgroup somewhere in the file:

+++++ IBMLAN.INI fragment
    Computername = T42MERLIN
    Domain = WORKGROUP
    +++++

The 'Domain' name must match the one used by the SAMBA server.

Of course you must also have one or more users defined, but I think the network
    install already creates one default user, or makes you define one.

When this user is logged on in OS/2 you should be able to
    attach to a samba share using a syntax like:

net use n: \\yourmacmachine\sharename

Where N: is the driveletter to use for the share.

I'll probably be able to give more exact instructions in a week or so,
    I am expecting my iMac to arrive in a few days :)

For Firefox, you need the LIBC DLL from:

+++++ Firefox dependancy
    Requires a libc0.5.1 based version of the GCC runtime library.
    http://www.innotek.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=23&Itemid=40&limit=1&limitstart=2
    +++++

Lots of links for the Mozilla family can be found at:

http://www.mozilla.org/ports/os2/

For the video driver I plan to use the Scitech SNAP driver (SDD) which comes
    with eCS. It is a GRADD-type driver that should allow higher resolutions.
    (but still unaccelerated, I hope it will be fast enough :)

Regards, JvW

http://www.dfsee.com

2. Mike Ryan

Mike Ryan Member

Thanks for all the instructions. Most of that is way over my head. My son would probably understand it. SAMBA, TCPIP and all that networking stuff is hard for me to figure out. When you do sit down to work it all out on your net iMac I hope you'll click on the TextEdit (think of the e editor in OS/2) and record your steps. I'm one of those guys who feels more comfortable follow someone else on a "walk through".

If you've been using OS/2 for 18 years then let me tell you the iMac is going to rock your foundation. You will ask yourself "Why of why didn't IBM take OS/2 to this level?" I was blown away from the moment my iMac arrived from Federal Express. If you need any help or advice please ask.

I'm looking forward to eCS v2.0 because I know those guys have added to the OS/2 experience. I have eCS v1.2R but couldn't get it to install under Parellels.

Thanks again for posting the instructions above.

Mike

3. Mike Ryan

Mike Ryan Member

Thank you! I *almost* went with VMware but another OS/2 user talked me out of it. He said Parallels would offer the best shot at running OS/2 in a virtual session on a Mac!

Mike