P
Parallels User
I have upgraded to PD8 on a new MacBook Pro (2.7 GHz i7, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD) and migrated my Windows XP VM. I want to upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium but want to do it with a new, clean installation on a new virtual machine. I actually just tried this but got an error about not being able to install Windows 7 because a valid Windows installation was not found. I don't know if it's because there was not a Windows installation on the new VM (most likely, I'd guess) or because I did have some validation issues with the migrated XP VM. ( I had to validate by phone with a live tech and MS Security Essentials still kept complaining about Windows not being validated. I think I may have just gotten this resolved—prior to the attempted Windows 7 installation). I wouldn't think that the Windows install process on the new VM would know anything about the OS on a different VM. I'm trying to do this with a Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade (64-bit system install). I would think that there ought to be a valid way to do this with an upgrade DVD and not have to purchase a full version. Do I first have to install my XP full version and then upgrade it?