Dear Community,
I am neither a Mac nor a Windows expert - spent now countless hours trying to get this to work but without success :-(((. Long nights made me now tired.....
1) I am running 3.0 Build 1456 on a MacBook
2) I successfully transported the entire HD from my windows PC over ethernet. This created the virtual disk IBM-AF466D42205 with 3 volumes (Volume (1) NTFS, Volume (2) FAT32 and Volume (3) NFTS. The volume 1 contains the I386 folder (I can see this through the parallels explorer)
3) When I go to Parallels Desktop it shows me now the MS Windows XP, Stopped which (I believe) was created during the first time I run the Desktop but where I totally failed to install XP from CD (which I had to created based on recommendation here: http://www.howtohaven.com/system/createwindowssetupdisk.shtml and several forum recommendations including the ISO img disk creation including install-re-installing parallels....).
So installing XP didn't work which is the reason for below question:
If I have all the disk and volumes transported from my PC, go to the configuration editor and select
a) Options - Booting - HardDisk, CD-ROM, Floppy
b) Hard Disk 1 - use image file - image file: .../migrated disks/IBM-AF466D42205.hdd
b) Then run (green button)
Shouldn't that work?
I get to black screen with 'we apologize for inconv, but windows didn't not start successfully....
...
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Last Known Good Configuration...
Start Windows Normally
None of the options work (they all make the screen hang), except safe mode which runs down some some 50 messages
'multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers\.......
and stops at
'multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys.
So reading through the forum I found that the mup.sys issue should be solved by repair ( http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=13451&highlight=mup.sys resp http://kb.parallels.com/en/5138
But trying to do so, brings me back to my very initial problem to boot from my CD. Tried with acceleration level disabled, and unclicked 'enable Intel VT-x support'. This brings the blue screen (Windows Setup), is runing through quite a number of files (mostly drivers), reaches 'wait while setup formats the particition' and wait until XP examines your HD' and then I get
'Setup cannot access the CD containing the Windows XP installation files. To retry, press ENTER. If you are not successful after several tries, quite Setup. Then......'
So this didn't work - then I tried to create an ISO image from the CD as suggested in the forum, changed Configuration to CD/DVD-ROM1 = Emulation 'use image file' and point to the WINXP.iso I created which did the exact same job as above just much faster, but ends up again at 'Setup cannot access the CD....
So I am back to square one :-(((((
Above is probably 10% of what I tried and re-tried and I am really getting tired. What else can I do? Any help? Or do I need to install XP seperately from an original CD (which I don't have since the PC came pre-configured?)
Thanks a lto
chris
I am neither a Mac nor a Windows expert - spent now countless hours trying to get this to work but without success :-(((. Long nights made me now tired.....
1) I am running 3.0 Build 1456 on a MacBook
2) I successfully transported the entire HD from my windows PC over ethernet. This created the virtual disk IBM-AF466D42205 with 3 volumes (Volume (1) NTFS, Volume (2) FAT32 and Volume (3) NFTS. The volume 1 contains the I386 folder (I can see this through the parallels explorer)
3) When I go to Parallels Desktop it shows me now the MS Windows XP, Stopped which (I believe) was created during the first time I run the Desktop but where I totally failed to install XP from CD (which I had to created based on recommendation here: http://www.howtohaven.com/system/createwindowssetupdisk.shtml and several forum recommendations including the ISO img disk creation including install-re-installing parallels....).
So installing XP didn't work which is the reason for below question:
If I have all the disk and volumes transported from my PC, go to the configuration editor and select
a) Options - Booting - HardDisk, CD-ROM, Floppy
b) Hard Disk 1 - use image file - image file: .../migrated disks/IBM-AF466D42205.hdd
b) Then run (green button)
Shouldn't that work?
I get to black screen with 'we apologize for inconv, but windows didn't not start successfully....
...
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Last Known Good Configuration...
Start Windows Normally
None of the options work (they all make the screen hang), except safe mode which runs down some some 50 messages
'multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers\.......
and stops at
'multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys.
So reading through the forum I found that the mup.sys issue should be solved by repair ( http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=13451&highlight=mup.sys resp http://kb.parallels.com/en/5138
But trying to do so, brings me back to my very initial problem to boot from my CD. Tried with acceleration level disabled, and unclicked 'enable Intel VT-x support'. This brings the blue screen (Windows Setup), is runing through quite a number of files (mostly drivers), reaches 'wait while setup formats the particition' and wait until XP examines your HD' and then I get
'Setup cannot access the CD containing the Windows XP installation files. To retry, press ENTER. If you are not successful after several tries, quite Setup. Then......'
So this didn't work - then I tried to create an ISO image from the CD as suggested in the forum, changed Configuration to CD/DVD-ROM1 = Emulation 'use image file' and point to the WINXP.iso I created which did the exact same job as above just much faster, but ends up again at 'Setup cannot access the CD....
So I am back to square one :-(((((
Above is probably 10% of what I tried and re-tried and I am really getting tired. What else can I do? Any help? Or do I need to install XP seperately from an original CD (which I don't have since the PC came pre-configured?)
Thanks a lto
chris
Last edited: