No 16:9 ratio and 4k resolution for external displays?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by BrandonT4, Sep 15, 2017.

1. BrandonT4

BrandonT4 Bit poster

I use an external display to run my windows often as it's a lot bigger than the MacBook. However, when I click full screen mode it puts black bars on the left and right side of screen and only shows windows in like a 4:3 ratio. Then if I go into Windows display settings it only goes up to 1920x1280 even though it's connected to a 4k monitor and still gives me black bars with that resolution selected. Why can't I have the right aspect ratio and the correct resolution? I just bought the current version of parallels to fix this as it is advertised as changing the resolutions and all that.

Windows looks terrible all blown up and in some resolution that was common in 2002.

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @BrandonT4 , please try Actions > Reinstall Parallels Tools and check.

3. BrandonT4

BrandonT4 Bit poster

That did it. Thank you very much. It doesn't look all grainy anymore.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  4. Alfena@Parallels

Alfena@Parallels Pro

Hello @BrandonT4,

You're welcome. Glad to know it is working. We are always here to help you.

5. BrandonT4

BrandonT4 Bit poster

Now I am running into a problem of too high of a resolution. It keeps reverting to to 6000x3000 no matter what I do. I use Windows for Solidworks only and the computer can't handle this high of a resolution for modeling. I have tried to reinstall parallels toolbox to no avail. I have restarted the computer. I have used full screen mode and windowed mode and changed the resolution to 1440p but as soon as I resize my window it jumps back up to 6000x3000. This problem didn't exist last weekend when I was doing my homework but today I can't get it keep my settings at all. Is there anything I can do?

6. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @BrandonT4 , please click View on Mac menu bar > Retina Resolution > Scaled and check if that helps.