No audio in Windows 7 VM

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by madaxes, Jan 22, 2014.

1. madaxes

madaxes Bit poster

I copied this from an older post while researching my problem. This user resolved the issue by reinstalling windows. I have the same issue but cannot get my windows disk to run because it says "auto run.dll cannot be loaded or is corrupt."

My audio used to work for months but this problem came about recently.

I have troubleshooted all the same things. Only difference is Device manager does show an exclamation for the Parallels audio controller.
    Other conflicts in Device manager are "Imaging devices - built in iSight" and "System Devices - Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator" but I'm not sure if they were always there or not.

Please help, thanks in advance.

Matt

"No Audio Output Device is Installed" in Windows 7 VM
    The speaker icon on the toolbar in my Windows 7 VM has a red x on it. If you hover over it the message "No Audio Output Device is Installed" appears.

If you click on the speaker the troubleshooter comes back with "Audio device is disable - Not Fixed".

I am running Parallels on a 27", Late 2009 iMac, 2.66 Ghz Core i5 with 12 GB RAM on OS X 10.7.4.

"Enable Sound" is checked for the VM.
    The input and output device are both set to "Default".
    The Windows 7 device manager shows no yellow exclamation points on any of the devices. Under "Sound, video, and game controllers", the "Parallels Audio Controller (x64)" device shows up.
    If I double-click on the "Parallels Audio Controller (x64)" device, it says "The device is working properly".

In control panel under "Sound", "Speaker" is shown on the Playback tab as the default device with a green check mark and "Parallels Audio Controller (x64)" below it. If I click on "Configure" on this tab, nothing happens. If I click the "Properties" button, it brings up the "Speaker Properties" window which again shows "Parallels Audio Controller (x64), "No Jack Information available", and "Use this device (enable)" set. Clicking on the "Levels" tab of this screen brings up a blank page.

Under Services, both the "Windows Audio" and "Windows Audio Endpoint Builder" services are "Started".

I have tried the following to address the issue:
    1) Rebooted my iMac.
    2) Rebooted the VM.
    3) Re-installed Parallels Tools from the menu and rebooted.
    4) Un-installed and re-installed Parallels Tools from the menu and rebooted.
    5) From device manager in the system control panel, I have removed the "Parallels Audio Controller (x64)" device and executed the "Scan for hardware changes" action to bring it back.
    6) From within "Parallels Audio Controller (X64)" device I have uninstalled the driver and restarted the machine. It rediscovers the driver but the problem still exists.
    7) I booted to safe mode in windows 7 and the same problem exists.
    8) I checked the Audio Midi Setup application. It shows the output going to 2ch-24bit integer 44100.0hz. Tapping "Configure speakers" shows "Stereo" set with left from set to 1 and right front set to 2. Running the "Test Setup" from the MIDI Studio page, does nothing. What is supposed to happen with this test?
    9) I tried to restart both the "Windows Audio" and "Windows Audio Endpoint Builder" services.
    10) Ran "Windows Audio Playback Troubleshooter" and it found no issues."

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  2. madaxes

madaxes Bit poster

I was able to reinstall windows form the disk once unchecking "disconnected under the virtual machine devices->cd/dvd
    but the reinstall did not fix the problem

3. madaxes

madaxes Bit poster

Should I just uninstall windows and parallels and start over? I don't have that much saved and installed in Windows.

4. madaxes

madaxes Bit poster

Is my best bet to just delete my current virtual machine and start over installing windows?
    If i do that should i remove parallels and reinstall it as well?

5. madaxes

madaxes Bit poster

i deleted my old VM and reinstalled windows and it worked