no boot device available

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Daniel9, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Daniel9

Daniel9 Bit poster

I am installing a disk version of Windows 7 x 64 with Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac with an Apple Superdrive. When trying to install Windows, I can get no farther than the screen below:
    upload_2015-12-18_20-34-7.png

When I press Enter, the process repeats. Are there any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks!

2. marat_t

marat_t Pro

Hi,
    What OS version is installed on Mac? If it's 10.11.2, I'm afraid it will not work as Apple has changed USB driver in 10.11.2 and we experience some issues currently with connecting USB to VM. What you can do is to create an image of the drive in OS X Disk Utility following "Create a disk image from a disk or connected device" part of this article and install OS from created image.

please note that USB drive should be bootable

3. Daniel9

Daniel9 Bit poster

The OS Version is 10.10.5

I am currently creating a 'read-only' disk image and will attempt to install Windows 7 from that. I will update then!

Thanks for the quick response.

4. Daniel9

Daniel9 Bit poster

I tried installing from the disk image and received the same error:
    upload_2015-12-19_10-39-38.png

Any thoughts on what is going wrong?

5. Ram@Parallels

Ram@Parallels Parallels Support

6. Daniel9

Daniel9 Bit poster

I am positive the issue is not with the disk, as it is a company version of Windows. The disk does not require a product key, so downloading the ISO files is not an option. Is there any alternative way around this problem?

7. mmika

mmika Pro

Hi Daniel9,
    could you send 'Technical Data' to Parallels and share its ID here (in VM menu bar: Help > Send Technical Data).
    Thank you.

8. ManojK@Parallels

ManojK@Parallels Parallels Support

Try creating an ISO out of this disk as per this article and try installing it from there.

9. Daniel9

Daniel9 Bit poster

Here it is, sorry it's been a while:
    ID number 87010173

10. ManojK@Parallels

ManojK@Parallels Parallels Support

Forward this Problem Report ID along with the issue description as an email to cs@parallels.com, so we can check it for you through a remote session.

11. mmika

mmika Pro

Hello Daniel.
    I looked at your report with technical data and didn't found any obvious problems...
    Could you change virtual storage interface of CD/DVD drive from SATA to IDE.
    You can do this easily by editing Windows 7 vm preferences. Or if you are going with new Vm wizard please check "Customize" during new VM creation, then change virtual interface for CD/DVD drive.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  12. AdamV

AdamV Bit poster

Hello,
    It looks like I am having a similar problem as Daniel9. I'm running on a 2013 Mac Pro with Windows 8.1 on a Boot Camp partition. I was installing Parallels 12 Pro for the first time. I don't know if Tools installed correctly. And I'm not able to get through step 3 of the KB found here: http://kb.parallels.com/en/123150. The Source dropdown is grayed out. And I'm not able to shut down my virtual machine.
    KB Resolution
    1. Shutdown the Windows virtual machine.
    2. Open the virtual machine hard disk configuration: go to menu bar at the top -> Actions -> Configure... -> Hardware tab -> Hard Disk 1.
    3. In Source drop-down menu choose Disconnected option.
    upload_2017-6-24_6-5-47.png

Thanks,
    Adam

13. AdamV

AdamV Bit poster

Hello,
    For my post above, I forgot to say that I'm running macOS Sierra 10.12.5.
    Thanks,
    Adam

14. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

We would like to know if you are trying to create a stand-alone virtual machine or a BootCamp based virtual machine. If it is a BootCamp based refer this article.