No boot device is available

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JamboRay, Feb 24, 2012.

1. JamboRay

JamboRay Bit poster

Hi All,

Looking for some help please. I've got a Macbook Pro that has been happily running Parallels Desktop with Windows 7 for a number of months now. I used it everyday this week but today when I started it up I end up with a...

No boot device is available, press Enter to continue. It then tries to boot from the SATA drive 1.. fails, then optical drive.. fails then floppy... fails and then the network which fails.

I put in support log ID 13135376 with Request support # of 91988-42663.

I've read a number of threads but with no answers. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Ray

2. YanaYana

YanaYana

support log id - you mean Ticket of Problem Report?
    Your Windows os may be corrupted due to some system failure - agressive shut down, Mac crash, whatever. If you have Time Machine backup - use it

3. Stuw

Stuw Parallels Developers

Hi,

Did you get this message during VM start:
    > Unable to connect Hard Disk 1.
    > A file or device required for the operation of Hard Disk 1 does not exist or is used by another process, or you have no permission to access it. The virtual machine will continue running, but the device will be disconnected.
    ?

Our software can't open virtual hard disk (~/Documents/Parallels/Windows 7.pvm/Windows 7-0.hdd) for some reason. Could you please describe your last actions/events before you got this error (power failure, VM was moved, some files were deleted, permissions were changed, ..., etc.)?

Thanks.

4. depalle

depalle Bit poster

Well, I have exactly the same issue after power failure, and PARALLELS team was not able to solve it ( trying 3 times with 3 different people )
    the last one told me ' sorry, you've lost all your datas ' !!!!
    It's not really the service I was expected for... ticket N° 1385242
    I have time machine backup but the problem is the same after restoring either complete system or only .pvm file
    size seems to be ok ( 70 Go ) but can't mount it or open windows.
    Is it a good idea to install new virtual machine, new windows 7 and to try to recover the old .pvm file ?
    PD vers. 7

thank's for help, I still there is a solution....

5. Stuw

Hi

Could you please send a problem report and post it's number here?

6. depalle

depalle Bit poster

Hi,
    thank's for reply but I don't have any problem report number
    Only the messages :

First : Unable to connect to hard disk1
    then : No operating system installed in this virtual machine, please insert install CD....

7. Stuw

depalle, use can send a problem report from Parallels Desktop menu: Help -> Report a Problem

8. depalle

depalle Bit poster

Ok Stuw,

report was send..

well in fact : impossible to sent the report !! one more problem...

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  9. Stuw

Do you have internet connection on your Mac?
    Check that addresses http://report.parallels.com:8080 and https://report.parallels.com:443 are available and not blocked with firewall.

If nothing happens generate a problem report archive in terminal and send it to me via private messages.

To generate problem report in terminal use following command:
    prlsrvctl problem-report > no-boot-device-depalle-report.tgz

10. depalle

depalle Bit poster

I can't access the https site
    I've just send the report via terminal commands.
    I've also tried to install a second virtual machine with windows 7, without any problem, and tried to mount the old image on it : same message : impossible to access hard disk 2

I'm getting crazy ...

11. Stuw

Could you please share report id? :)

12. depalle

depalle Bit poster

Stuw,

I can't find where to attach a file in private message ???

Fred

13. MaryandRed

MaryandRed Bit poster

Cannot Connect Hard Drive 2

Hello:

I just returned from a vacation and now realize that I'm having the same problem (having not booted Parallels since mid-May). When I start my Windows 7 VM, I get a message that Hard Drive 2 Cannot Be Connected. The VM boots, but my second hard drive isn't available (so about half the programs are gone). I've created a trouble report, as listed above. I'll try to PM it to you now.

14. YanaYana

YanaYana

where is this hard drive located? please try to locate it in Finder - right click and open with Parallels Mounter. This will give an idea if it is still in place and if data is still available. Please post the result here

15. kyliej

kyliej Banned

Just install internal hard drive,and trying to boot.

16. Boggio

Boggio Bit poster

Same problem.. i think that there aren't solutions… just after a MacOS crash during the VM booting ..

17. 1maxuk

1maxuk Bit poster

Launch Parallels, navigate to virtual machines from the menu bar and click Stop. Go back to Parallels and click Resume and the problem should now be solved. Hope this helps.

LuckyMe and MarcusV like this.
  18. tattsenglee@gmail.com

tattsenglee@gmail.com Junior Member

I just had the same problem, and i resolved it by checking the "Use EFI Boot" checkbox under the Advanced Settings.

Attached Files:

brianw8, ArthurS1 and Maria@Parallels like this.
  19. Hi, thanks a lot for sharing this info with us!

20. brianw8

brianw8 Bit poster

This worked for me, thanks!