No GUI after installing Windows server 2012r2 or 2016

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by TatuC, Jan 23, 2019.

1. TatuC

TatuC Bit poster

I have Parallels in two different Macs. MBP 13" late 2014 and Mac Pro early 2009.

With old Mac Pro I can install Windows servers, but with MBP, after install, even when I choose GUI version of server, there is no GUI. It is a bit difficult to use one server and graphical interface programs without GUI.

I have latest macOS 10.14.2 and I use dark mode theme. Is this Mojave problem or something else? My Parallels version is Version 14.0.1 (45154). Not the latest, but release notes says nothing about this matter.

2. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

You have to install GUI separately or create a new server manually with GUI.

3. TatuC

TatuC Bit poster

I choose from installation menu GUI version. And all what I get, is command prompt. Same iso-image on different mac works well. With same installation procedure.

4. TonyC2

TonyC2 Member

happens to me as well (2012 even). can't explain it as it only happens on parallels when installing a new server. like you i also choose with GUI but always seems to install only core server.

sadly it looks like windows has stopped allowing you to install the GUI from a core server. at least on 2012 i can from the power shell.

i was able to get around it by not selecting an install source when creating the VM and then attaching the ISO once it's created.

winstall1.png

winstall2.png

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  5. TatuC

TatuC Bit poster

But it is funny, that when I use same ISO-image with different machine but same version of Parallers, it works. And with VirtualBox it works fine on this MBP. A bit annoying.

6. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

We are glad that you have shared the steps which helped you in resolving the issue.

7. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Have you tried using the power shell option to enable GUI and checked?

8. TonyC2

TonyC2 Member

You can't do that anymore. 2012 r2 and up removed the ability to add the GUI after install. I think the Parallels unattended installer is not passing the selection made during the new VM wizard and it defaults to the first item which is Core server (No GUI).

9. TonyC2

TonyC2 Member

** confirmed **
    went through regular setup and deleted the unattended floppy before starting up. windows setup asks what version to install. did another install exactly the same but did not delete unattended floppy. after install was finished was stuck with server core.