"No images are available" - Windows 10 new install on parallels 11

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Chrishgrantham, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Chrishgrantham

Chrishgrantham Bit poster

Hi

I have parallels 11 - new purchase
    I have windows 10 - new purchase, a downloaded iso [NOT an upgrade]
    I have the windows 10 password
    I have a new Macbook Pro

I can install parallels 11

When i try to use the wizzard to install the operating system (windows 10, 64 bit) I can find the download file. I can input the serial number.

I get a blue screen with a message "Select the Operating system you wish to install" and the progress bar advances to "Collecting information". In the selection box, it says "No images are available"

I have downloaded the ISO file twice from Microsoft, I believe it to be ok. I have waited 3 hours - the progress bar does not advance beyond "collecting information"

What am I doing wrong? The downloaded ISO is in my MAC Safari download folder.

Question: Is it possible to actually use the ISO from a purchased (not upgraded) windows 10 [64 bit] on a new, clean install Macbook Pro, using parallels 11? There is very little on this system, it seems it should work without much effort

I do not see another thread on these forums which is similar to this issue

Thanks

claveman likes this.
  2. Chrishgrantham

Should I put in a support ticket for this? Can someone tell me how I get some support from Parallels?

Thank you

3. Chrishgrantham

Microsoft support generated me a new code which worked - after two days
    I would ignore the automatic parallels install and chose manual - don't try to put in your code until its all installed (skip) - and make sure you select the correct version [home or pro] from the start -

Issue is now solved

4. Lannah

Lannah Bit poster

Does anyone have any new news on this? I've tried the manual install, but no joy. I am having the same problem, and I spoke to Microsoft, and they said that my license is fine, it's a Parallels issue. Who do I need to speak to, and how do I need to do it, please?

Thank you.

5. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Dear All, kindly refer to this blog to fix Windows 10 new installation issue in Parallels Desktop

6. Lannah

Lannah Bit poster

Thanks for the tutorial. However it's not really of use, because precisely the problem is that the installation doesn't proceed as per the tutorial. Rather, it gets stuck and says that there are no images available.

Thankfully, I now have the answer, at least to my version of the problem:

When invited to download Windows 10, I had to choose one of three versions:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 N
    Windows 10 KN

There's nothing to explain the difference between the three, but after googling it, I chose the N version (no WMP, and apparently the version that corresponds to Europe, which is both where I am, and the Microsoft Store that I bought Windows from). Turns out that that doesn't correspond to the Product Key I had, though as far as I can tell, there was no way to know this.

Anyway. Fixed problem when:

1. Re-downloaded the ISO, this time Windows 10, plain and simple.
    2. UNCHECKED Express installation, which means you'll go through a slightly different - but still idiot-proof - process.

I hope that helps any others that are having this same problem and keep getting sent to a tutorial that basically tells you to follow the step-by-step on-screen instructions!

7. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Great! feel free to reach out anytime. We are here to help. Thanks!

8. StuartT2

StuartT2 Bit poster

I have the latest version pf Parallels with a 32bit Win10 VM, and an XP VM. I've just increased the Ram but didn't realise that it was 32bit and of course we have the 3gig ram max problem.
    So I purchased the Win10 64 bit and decided to install another VM and it won't install, it tells me it's the wrong activation code. I tried several different versions, unchecked express installation, very disappointing

9. Hi, could you please provide us with the screenshots of the error message?

10. MarcusG3

MarcusG3 Bit poster

The solution was said previously. Here's a few more details...
    1) Load the ISO into Parallels
    2) Leave "Express installation" checked
    3) Uncheck "This Version* requires a product key"
    4) Do not enter a pdt key (notice you can't if you did step 3)
    5) Continue & finish installation
    6) Go to WIN 10 Settings>Activate>Change Pdt Key,Allow app>Enter pdt key>Enjoy

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    CaraG, VishwanathM and SeanF3 like this.
  11. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @MarcusG3, thanks for the suggestion, we love have fans like you!

12. Hi @MarcusG3- we got your response to this forum thread as a forum admin alert.
    It looks like you responded to the forum notification by email instead of posting it back to the forum. To post messages to the forum thread, please do that on the forum directly.

Here is a copy of your message:

Cool. And version* just corrected it.

13. SeanF3

SeanF3 Bit poster

Pretty poor that this remains unresolved. I have a new Windows 10 Professional ISO and the Parallels wizard doesn't work with any of the ISOs I've tried (creators with and without explicit language etc). Have downloaded about 20GB of ISOs to no avail. The only option it would seem is to install the home edition without entering a product key and then activate and upgrade it afterwards (wasting a whole lot more time if the key is incompatible with the ISO.

My keyless install is now in progress so we'll see how it goes. Parallels should be updated to remove the entering of the key up front as (judging by the number of comments on the internet) it simply doesn't work

14. MarcusG3

MarcusG3 Bit poster

My steps didn't work for you? I was in your situation awhile ago.

SeanF3 likes this.
  15. SeanF3

SeanF3 Bit poster

Your steps worked thank you. The point I am making is that it shouldn't be left with completely misleading instructions and a process that always fails, and they should remove the enter key option altogether as it simply doesn't work

16. MarcusG3

MarcusG3 Bit poster

Yep, you're right. It was a struggle.