No internet access after upgrade to 8.0

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by bmwmcrider, Nov 5, 2012.

1. bmwmcrider

bmwmcrider Member

Upgraded from Parallels 7 to Parallels 8 on a Mac Pro with Windows 7 Ultimate for VM. I now have no network access. The status bar shows the network adapter is connected.

Tried rerunning Parallel Tools but failed. Parallels couldn't find the file parallel-tools-amd64.msi. Nor could I searching with Finder. So now I am stuck - my VM can't access the network. I need to get this thing running asap so I can download and process stock market data with an app that only runs on MS Windows.

Cheers,

Mike

2. Stephen L

Stephen L Bit poster

Same issue, not working even after reinstalling Parallel Tools and restarting.

3. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

BMWMCRider and Stephen,
    please make sure that you are using Shared Networking. Then click Start -> Run and execute cmd.exe. Type in the appeared window command "ipconfig /all" (make sure that all output fits to the window). Then, without closing the window, click Parallels Destkop menu "Help"->"Report a Problem", send a problem report (it is not necessary to provide description) and post here the report ID.

4. Stephen L

Stephen L Bit poster

Report ID: 19498351

5. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Strange. I don't see any issues in the report. If you want, we can make a remote session to your computer and check the problem locally. Send me your email address via forum's private messages if session is ok. I'm available working days 10AM-5PM GMT (today is also ok)

6. bmwmcrider

bmwmcrider Member

Elric - Here is the problem report ID: 19508138

Thanks,

Mike

7. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

In your case the situation seems simple:
    by some reason you have manually assigned DNS-servers in VM. I think that reset this to automatically assigned DNS-server will help.

This can be done in way like in http://www.trainsignal.com/blog/windows-7-ip-addressing (don't follow the last step, both IP and DNS should left "obtain automatically)

8. Stephen L

Stephen L Bit poster

When I am in command prompt, I am able to ping for example, yahoo.com. I can update the time also. I cannot, however, use the browser or any other application that needs to connect to the internet.

9. bmwmcrider

bmwmcrider Member

Elric - Thanks for the quick reply. I'll will do you suggested fix later (quite busy now) and let you know whether or not it was successful.

Cheers,

Mike

10. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hm. This looks like firewall on Mac OS blocks it. We can take a look tomorrow (in time range from above, I'll send you an email).