No login screen

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by IT2006, Oct 14, 2017.

1. PeterT6

PeterT6 Bit poster

2. MohammadM1

MohammadM1 Bit poster

3. NoComment

NoComment Bit poster

@parallels, this is getting frustrating. There are several people complaining about the very same problem for over a month now, seriously stopping all of us from doing our work. So far, either the solution proposals which were provided didn't work out, or were hard to understand and thus failed. I've been using Parallels since the very beginning (which is a long time), and have been beta testing all of the releases since then, putting a lot of effort in supporting you with bringing your product further. This is the first time I need something coming back from your side, and I have to say, I'm disappointed. This problem shows me that I can no longer trust on Parallels alone for my software setup. I would really love to see you move and progress in this case, I'm willing to provide any feedback and support you would need, but please, fix this problem. Thank you.

4. NoComment

NoComment Bit poster

Just to mention, I isntalled a blank WIndows 10VM (via the download option in Parallels) and it works flawlessly. The Windows 10 VM which is failing is a Windows instance migrated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 - would be interesting if you guys also have a migrated instance that fails, or if you have problem with a fresh Windows 10 installation?

5. NoComment

NoComment Bit poster

Ok, so there is a new update of PD13, but unfortunately no resolution to our problem. Damn.

6. PhilS3

PhilS3 Bit poster

I've had similar issues. The login screen disappeared yesterday and I was unable to login. After several restarts and moving the screen around it reappeared occasionally so I was able to try the suggestions in this thread. I've also had issues with the keyboard not working for some windows apps in recent weeks. Here are my results:
    1. Suggested fix by to resize screen (full screen then ctl+cmd+F) did not work
    2. Suggested fix to turn off shared profile, rename prl_uprof.dll and restart did not work
    3. Following the below steps fixed the problem and also fixed the keyboard issue:
    - switch off the automatic maintenance option in parallels config (login worked properly after this step)
    - backup registry then change the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\Maintenance\State > ReportedState to 0 (it was set to 3)
    - using task manager start cftmon.exe (keyboard worked properly after this step)

Its unclear to me if the keyboard issue and the login screen issue are related or not however it may be that both are connected to a problem with the task scheduler.
    The microsoft link posted by PeterT6 above is very useful (click on Replies at the bottom and read it all the way through)

Like others posting here my Windows 10 VM was upgraded from Windows 8.

7. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @PeterT6, could you please go to Help menu of Parallels Desktop application and send us the technical data report via Send Technical Data... menu item? Then, post the number here.

8. JeiJ

JeiJ Bit poster

You are a life saver. Number 3 completely resolved my issues.
    My windows 10VM was a company image

9. PeterT6

PeterT6 Bit poster

10. ParallelsU86

ParallelsU86 Bit poster

Since I am having the same problem, I thought I'd send my number as well, but every time I try to Send Technical Data Parallels crashes. I have tried all solutions and still can't get the Windows login screen.

11. BrianW11

BrianW11 Bit poster

If you are able to get in I followed these instructions to just bypass the password and it logs right in now, not a fix but it works...

f you'd like to get past the lock screen even when booting your computer, considering having your computer automatically sign in when you boot it up.. Your computer will automatically sign into your user account and you won't even have to enter a password when it boots.

There's a potential security risk to logging into your Windows PC automatically, though. Don't do this unless you have a desktop PC located somewhere secure. If you carry your laptop around with you, you probably don't want to have that laptop automatically sign into Windows.

The old netplwiz panel will let you enable automatic login on Windows 10. Press Windows+R on your keyboard, type netplwiz , and press Enter. Select the account you want to automatically sign in with, uncheck the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" option, click "OK", and enter the password for your account. Windows will store it in the registry and automatically sign into your computer for you when it boots.

12. tom_seddon

tom_seddon Junior Member

Just got bitten by this now with PD14 as downloaded 20 minutes ago from the web site. I used File > New to import my Boot Camp partition, and started up my new VM... but no login screen. In my case it was fixed by manually setting the amount of graphics memory for the VM, as suggested in the first reply, so that's good, but - wait, no, scratch that: it's terrible! It's been a year since this bug was first noted, there's been a (supposedly) major Parallels release since, and it appears not to have been fixed. Really not a good look.

Luckily for Parallels Corp, I've been using their product for years, so this issue is insufficiently inconvenient to motivate me into switching to VMWare.

--Tom

13. KebhaK@Parallels

KebhaK@Parallels Hunter

Hi @NoComment , Please follow steps in the KB article to get to your virtual machine's configuration. Go to "Hardware"> "Network", change Source to "Default Adapter" and check you internet connection on Windows virtual machine.