No Mic in Windows guest

Discussion in 'Windows Guest OS Discussion' started by MartinW1, Sep 29, 2011.

1. MartinW1

MartinW1 Bit poster

Hi - couldn't see any way to get support for a trial copy of PD7 so I'll try here.

I'm using PD7 on an early Core2Duo MacBook Pro with 4GB of ram. Guest is Windows 7 Ultimate.

I've been using Fusion since day one but wanted to try PD since there are a few issues with Fusion for me. One of them is that when in a Windows Live meeting, Fusion has a terrible delay where the other user(s) can here themselves. I assume this is because the internal microphone is picking up the internal speakers as there's a delay due to the VM and thus, noise cancelling isn't working properly.

Ok, so I figured I'd try Parallels and see how that fares.

I've seen a lot of info on the net about no Microphone within the VM but all the posts and articles seem to be about just getting it working and evolve around is the Parallels Audio Controller appearing as a recording device. For me it is, and I can see the level meter moving as sound is being detected so all good, right?

Unfortunately, wrong! That device is a "Line In" device. Not a Microphone. So applications such as Windows Live Meeting that look for a microphone don't find one, and then don't enable input at all. Leaves me stuck.

Sadly, this is a deal breaker for me until Microsoft migrate us from BPOS to Office 365.

Does anyone have a solution to this? How to make the internal microphone appear (and work!) as a microphone. Other than go out and spend money on a USB headset, which I shouldn't need to do as I already have a mic and speakers in my laptop!

Thanks,
    Martin.

2. WolfgangT

WolfgangT Bit poster

I have the same issue. The interesting point is that it worked with PD 6 :(.
    I upgraded about 2 weeks ago and it stopped working right after the update. Hopefully it will come back with the next update.

3. MartinW1

MartinW1 Bit poster

I was afraid someone may say that!

So, does PD6 work with Lion? And if so, am I able to still download and trial PD 6?

Obviously for me, the next update is no good as my trial will have run out and I won't have bought the product by then ;)

4. WolfgangT

WolfgangT Bit poster

Yes, PD6 works with Lion. Some features added in PD7 are not available, but anyway it works ;).
    I'm not sure if you can download it somewhere on the parallels website. Here is a link to a german store where you can by the PD6 very cheap (including the update to PD7 for free ;))
    The offer is limited until October 6.
    http://www.gravis.de/Software-Buech...t-KW39-40.html?newsletter=snl/kw39_parallels/

Hope this helps and that someone (maybe parallels) will fix this issue soon.

5. MartinW1

MartinW1 Bit poster

Ok, thanks for the link but I need to evaluate before I buy, even at that discounted price it's still more expensive than upgrading from VMWare to Parallels (£19.99), but more to the point I need to make sure it works first.

I've found and downloaded PD6. I'll try that, but I don't know if my trial activation code for PD7 will work against it or not.

Hopefully someone from Parallels will comment, otherwise I won't be feeling too compelled to buy the product :D

6. MartinW1

MartinW1 Bit poster

Ok, well, since I was on a trial I can't raise a support request. My trial has now expired and no-one from parallels (or anyone else for that matter) has been able to come in here with an answer so I have no choice but to uninstall and go back to VMWare 3.

I can't spend money on software that doesn't work for me! And there's no point spending money on upgrading VMWare as the new version doesn't give anything more than the old version (it's always worked fine with Lion for me which seems to be the main selling point of the new version).

Shame, parallels seemed promising, but I had already read that support was lacking!

7. WolfgangT

WolfgangT Bit poster

Hi Martin,

I still have the same issue and it is annoying because I can activate the mic for a live meeting.
    I was just about to sent a support request when I got your new message.
    When I get feed back I will let you know...

8. MartinW1

MartinW1 Bit poster

Thank you - I'd appreciate that.

If you get the opportunity it may be worthwhile (from my perspective!) if you could point them in the direction of this thread. It seems a bit crazy to me that as a user trying out their product, I can't raise a support query with them to try and get it to work properly, people obviously aren't going to buy something that they can't get to work.

9. WolfgangT

WolfgangT Bit poster

Temporary fix

Hi Martin,

when I was looking for a fix to this stupid problem I was reading of someone who already had a USB headset and he was able to use this instead of the internal audio device.

So I got a cheap USB headset and it works great.

Best
    Wolfgang

10. juliaplow

juliaplow Hunter

Hello, I deeply apologize for the lack of responses. Just for your information, you had to submit support request not with technical support but with customer support which is absolutely free of charge and does not require commercial license:

888-811-24-89 (In the Interactive Voice Response option select the appropriate categories related to customer support)
    or
    www.parallels.com/support/request > Customer Service and Licensing

Customer support will help you with new trial license and with all the questions related to activation/registration/purchase/general settings.

11. juliaplow

juliaplow Hunter

Hello WolfgangT, being Parallels Desktop 7 registered user, you are eligible for free e-mail technical support assistance.

If you have any techncial issues, pelase do not hesitate to submit support request at:

www.parallels.com/support/request > Technical Issue in Parallels product

and enter your support code for verification.

You can check what your support code is in your account at: www.parallels.com/account or by starting Parallels Desktop application and clicking "Request Support" from the "Help" menu. And then application will show your unique Support Code. By clicking Get Support you will be taken to the Parallels Support website to receive support you deserve.

Note that accoridng to Parallels Desktop 7 support options, all registered users are eligible for 30 days (from the registration date) of FREE phone and chat technical support and FREE email technical support till September, 06, 2013.

12. WolfgangT

WolfgangT Bit poster

Solution for Windows 7

Hi,

I finally got a call from the Parallels support and we could fix the problem. The trick is to run the LiveMeeting in the Windows XP (SP3) compatibility mode. Unfortunately, this is not available for all Windows 7 editions. I think it's not available for the Home edition.

Here is how it works:

1. right click on the LiveMeeting icon and select properties
    2. choose the compatibility tap
    3. enable the compatibility mode and choose Windows XP (SP3)
    4. press ok and start LiveMeeting.

Live meeting will again use the line in as a source for the microphone ;).

Hope that helps al of you struggling with the same issue.

Best,
    Wolfgang

13. Acronym

Acronym Bit poster

Worked for me!!!!
    Thanks