No Network with Ubuntu Guest

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by super awesome, Apr 15, 2006.

1. barryw

barryw Member

I will send you a private message

No - this is not real bad - I'll send you a private message.

Barry

2. DaveJewell

DaveJewell Bit poster

Hi. Funnily enough, I installed Ubuntu 5.10 under Parallels Beta 4 last night. Initially I had the exact same problem: no networking support. More by luck than anything else (I was totally unfamiliar with Ubuntu and don't often use Linux) I discovered that you have to click the System menu, go to Administration, then Networking. You get asked for your admin password, and you'll then see a list of network connections. By default, it said my eth0 connection was not active, so I selected it, clicked the Activate button and the network connection then sprang into life.

I apologise if you have already tried this, but it worked for me. Would be nice if Ubuntu could turn on the networking support by default, but I don't know how to get it to do this.

Dave

3. super awesome

super awesome Junior Member

Thanks for replying Dave. Your solution sounds easy, mine was a *little* more complicated but not too bad overall. Tim from the Parallels team solved it in this thread for me.

Are you aware that a newer version of Ubuntu is out? I'm now using the 6.06 beta.

4. DaveJewell

DaveJewell Bit poster

Hi super awesome. Didn't realise you weren't using a router. I doubt that my solution would have worked for you because your configuration is so different to mine. Anyway, glad you're up and running now.

Damn - didn't realise there was a new beta. I only downloaded 6.04 yesterday. Rats... <grin>

Dave