'no valid rapl domains' when trying to boot Debian/Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by EllisB, Jan 2, 2016.

1. EllisB

EllisB Bit poster

Hi,

I'd like to set up an Ubuntu Desktop 15.10 VM, but every time I attempt to boot (prior to install), I get the following message:
    Code:
    intel_rapl: no valid rapl domains found in package 0
    It then seems that the boot process fails to go any further, and the VM has to be killed via Activity Monitor. I've tried the built-in 14.04 download option and a 15.10 desktop ISO, using default settings or custom settings with more RAM, EFI boot or not, the 'express install' method or not - each time it has the same issue.

With Debian 8, I managed to run through the install process fine, but got the same error at the first boot (after install) attempt.

So for some reason I currently can't use Debian or Ubuntu via Parallels. I've not tried any other Linux distribution yet but my Windows 10 virtual machine (via Boot Camp) works fine.

Parallels is up-to-date with 11.1.2, OS X is 10.11.1.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. EllisB

EllisB Bit poster

Bump

3. marat_t

marat_t Pro

4. EllisB

EllisB Bit poster

Well, I don't know what to say because this is the same image that I've been using the whole time.

After seeing your message though, I decided to check again. I had an existing VM set up so I went into the configuration to check the boot order. While I was there, I disabled network boot since I knew I wouldn't use it, and somehow, managed to boot, install and run Ubuntu just fine.

I've no idea if the network boot option was actually causing the issue, but I'm afraid to turn it back on again in case it messes things up.

5. All seems to work fine with Linux Mint 17.2, 17.2, 17.3 ...

6. EllisB

EllisB Bit poster

Same here (only tried 17.3). Whatever this issue was, it is now resolved - at least temporarily. I still see the rapl domains message, but it doesn't prevent boot.

7. LiS

LiS Bit poster

Click on VM - Settings - Disaply - uncheck the Accelerate the 3D Graphics.