Non-existent Snapshots

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by SPelly, Jan 4, 2011.

1. SPelly

SPelly Member

Hi, I am trying to resize an expanding drive under parallels 6.0.11992 and get the following error:

Unable to resize the disk because it has one or more snapshots.
    This disk belongs to a virtual machine that has one or more snapshots. Please delete these snapshots and try again.

The "Manage Snapshots" dialogue reports "No Snapshots Available" and I have never used smartguard and it is disabled in the VM configuration.

I've seen similar complaints in other posts on older versions of parallels. Is there a trick to truly clearing out the fantom snapshots?

FWIW, this is a very old virtual disk. It may have been created under parallels 3 or maybe even migrated from VMware Fusion. It's been so long, I don't remember.

2. SPelly

SPelly Member

Figured it out

At some point, Parallels split the disk into ~16G chunks. When I tried to resize, it reports the error before the GUI can display that the disk is split. Running (from the terminal):

prl_disk_tool merge --hdd <path to my disk>

Fixes the problem.

3. BrianVegas

BrianVegas Bit poster

Disk tools didn't fix my problem but reported that there were no virtual disks. In my winxp.pvm is a winxp.hdd and a snapshots folder (empty), a snapshots.xml and a config.pvs. If I inspect the contents there is a file winxp.hdd (confusing, the same name as the enclosing folder but zero length) and 4 additional files that began winxp.hdd. . . .hds. These files are large with the most recent being the largest (21GB) and the other 3 being several years old and various sizes totaling about the same size as the newest and largest. What folder, starting at the winxp.pvm, folder should I be running the disk tools in?

I have the latest version of Parallels 6 installed and the disk tools installation has completed after the last update. What am I missing?

Thanks
    Brian