NOOB What is 2X RAS

Discussion in 'Parallels Remote Application Server' started by McHenry, Jan 26, 2016.

1. McHenry

McHenry Bit poster

I have read a bit now and am still unsure if 2X RAS is a replacement for Microsoft RDS or used alongside it.

If I use 2X RAS doe I still need RDS CALS?

2. GreggZ

GreggZ Junior Member

Yes, you still need M$ RDS CALS.

3. Hello McHenry, you can find more info about Parallels RAS here.
    Please check it and let us know if you have any questions.

4. GreggZ

GreggZ Junior Member

Yes, you still need M$ CALS.

5. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi GreggZ, normally, RDS CALs are installed on the RD licensing server. This server keeps track of these licenses. When a user or a device tries to connect to the RD session host server, the server checks to see if the user/device has a CAL. It contacts the RD licensing server to obtain the license on behalf of the requesting client. If the RDS CAL is available, it is obtained and a session is established. Please check out this blog for more information.

6. GreggZ

GreggZ Junior Member

Am I not correct that you do in fact require Microsoft RDS licensing in addition to the Parallels licensing?

7. Valentin@Parallels

Valentin@Parallels Parallels Support

@GreggZ
    You are absolutely correct, Microsoft CALs is a requirement for Remote Application Server. Basically we are publishing items from Terminal Server, in other words - we are establishing a remote connection to this server, so MS CALs are required, otherwise remote connection to the server will not be established.