Norton (or Other Malware Protection) in an M1 Mac with Windows in S Mode

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by RobertB47, Jul 4, 2021.

1. RobertB47

RobertB47 Member

After successfully installing the VHDX file etc. to get Windows in S mode installed on my M1 Mac, I found that I could not reinstall Norton 360 in Windows (which worked fine in the non-S-mode Windows).

So I came to this forum, expecting to find many reports from users who have solved (or at least had) the same problem, and was very surprised to find none at all.

Is there something about Windows in S mode that makes it inherently not susceptible to malware?

If not, what am I missing here?

2. RobertB47

RobertB47 Member

Forgot to mention that even though the MacOS might not be very susceptible to malware with no added protection necessary, I wouldn't expect that would preclude malware designed for Windows machines to cause problems in the Windows VM.

3. kundanno

kundanno Hunter

did you read the FAQ?

Windows 10 security.

Also note that by exclusively using apps from the Microsoft Store and browsing safely with Microsoft Edge, Windows 10 in S mode keeps you running more quickly and securely day in and day out.

If you want to use another antivirus software provider, you can ask if they offer a product that runs on a Windows 10 device in S mode.

4. kundanno

kundanno Hunter

Yes, we recommend all Windows devices use antivirus software. Currently, the only antivirus software known to be compatible with Windows 10 in S mode is the version that comes with it: Windows Defender Security Center. Windows Defender Security Center delivers a robust suite of security features that help keep you safe for the supported lifetime of your Windows 10 device. For more info, see Windows 10 security.

Also note that by exclusively using apps from the Microsoft Store and browsing safely with Microsoft Edge, Windows 10 in S mode keeps you running more quickly and securely day in and day out.

If you want to use another antivirus software provider, you can ask if they offer a product that runs on a Windows 10 device in S mode.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...mode-faq-851057d6-1ee9-b9e5-c30b-93baebeebc85