Not getting Windows desktop

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by PaulA8, Apr 21, 2017.

1. PaulA8

PaulA8 Bit poster

Running Parallels 12.2 on iMac with macOS Sierra 10.12.4. Windows 7 apparently starts and runs but all I get is a black screen. Doesn't seem to matter whether in coherence or not.

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

3. PaulA8

PaulA8 Bit poster

Actions/reset did not work.

Paul

4. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

We request you to share a screenshot to check the issue.

5. PaulA8

PaulA8 Bit poster

I posted a response a couple of days ago. No idea where it went. All you would see on a screen shot is a completely black screen, unless I nudged the cursor to the top, then the Windows 7 menu bar would appear. That's all I can get to happen. When the menu bar was up I went under view and took a screenshot but not having done that before, I didn't know where it was or how to send it to you.

Paul

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @PaulA8, we hope this blog post will help in resolving black screen issue in the virtual machine.

7. PaulA8

PaulA8 Bit poster

Is there any chance updating to Windows 10 would help? I tried scenario 1. Didn't work. Going further is over my head. I can't get at task manager.

8. PaulA8

PaulA8 Bit poster

A last resort would be to back up to versions of OS and Parallels that worked. Is this possible?

9. PaulA8

PaulA8 Bit poster

We think the Windows 7 file is corrupt. Not going to pay to upgrade to Windows 10. Not worth it for one annual use to do a personal tax return. Decided to abandon Parallels/Windows and borrow a laptop every April.

10. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @PaulA8, you can repair your Windows 7 virtual machine as suggested in this article and let us know how it works.