Not possible to start programs after Windows 11 ARM installation

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by AndreT7, Oct 30, 2021.

1. DanielM71

DanielM71 Bit poster

I went through the tedious procedure of creating a windows 11 iso and installed windows 11 again and this time, everything works fine. I am pleasantly suprised that even Office 32-Bit and Access seems to work fine and fast enough even on a base Macbook Air M1.

2. DanielM71

DanielM71 Bit poster

With creating an ISO I mean this: https://uupdump.net/selectlang.php?id=2cd33c3d-825f-4216-9ef4-2e2cef0bc077
    I had to follow the link to github that was output along with errors while installing the prerequisites with homebrew. I reinstalled python and pip using the alternativ homebrew tap that someone created in that thread on github. As I said, tedious, but worth it.
    In contrast, I also tried installing windows 11 with UMT, which is a free alternative to parallels, but only go there if you have to money at all. It's even more difficult and the end result is really shitty compared to parallels. Could be enough though. CPU speed is okay, but everything else is worse. The mouse pointer needs to manually locked into the window or it's not working, even with the guest tools installed and it mouse movement is not fluid.

3. ronaldok

ronaldok Bit poster

Thanks MichaelH63,
    the windows update is not possible since you can not open the settings in windows. Also the (window+R) cmd and the shortcut ms-settings:windowsupdate does not work.
    regarding the link how to make a installation disk from yupdump, the link leads to a forum (difficult to find the right topic) but I know a perfect link to guide you thru the process, https://jensd.be/1533/windows/windows-11-arm-on-m1-based-macs-with-utm

very frustrating to get my new laptop working, hope parallels will find a fix soon.

4. ronaldok

ronaldok Bit poster

5. BradB7

BradB7 Member

@SWANDY Like you, I am running the 22000.282 release with no issues. Once the release version was put out there, I turned off getting insider preview dev or betas and things have been pretty stable in Parallels 17.1. Someone above mentioned that the 22494 build released on Wednesday fixes the issues many of you are having accessing the Settings and the like. Is this true? Also, how about the USB issues folks have been having? Anyone test 22494 yet? If so, I may update from the original release version.

6. OliverF9

OliverF9 Bit poster

just like to add that since last weekend's automatic windows update I experience the same issue using Parallels 7 and windows 11 insider preview build 22483 on my Macbook, before everything ran fine. Now I wait for insider preview build 22494 download being released. btw. got no reply from Parallels support team so far.

7. GertG1

GertG1 Bit poster

8. TEEE

TEEE Bit poster

after days of trying different things because of this issue, i just deleted my windows 11 arm insider machine (again), reinstalled parallels (again), reinstalled windows 11 arm insider (again) BUT manually installed it (tick the box in the left bottom corner after choosing your 22483.vhdx) without allowing windows installation to create or use an internet connection. and voila, everything's fine. i could also install the german language pack, activate and use the internet connection after installing windows like this, and it's still running nice with several updates, apps, microsoft store, ...

9. HermannR3

HermannR3 Bit poster

As explained it is a issue with the language setting. The easiest way to solve is by using PowerShell and the following 2 Commands:

Set-WinUserLanguageList en-US -Force
    Restart-Computer

Line 1 sets the default Language back to en-US (English US)
    Line 2 restarts the Computer automatically

Works fine for me on my M1 MacBook Air.

ArjanV2 likes this.
  10. ArjanV2

ArjanV2 Bit poster

awesome, this works for me, finally :)

11. OliverF9

OliverF9 Bit poster

thanks, now Windows11 works within my Parallels VM, but still not okay for me, because now my German keyboard does not work in German mode anymore, but applies English keyboard setting, which does not match with the German keys' names and I cannot use German Umlauts anymore etc. . Any solution for this?

and btw., more than 2 weeks ago with an older build of Windows11, everything ran fine under parallels, without need to set WinUserLanguage ... to English or other tweaks to be done and also my German keyboard worked fine.

To Parallels company: Does Parallels still have a user support alive or did you give up on this topic? Parallels is a product I paid money for and now for more than 2 weeks no help from Parallels online support on this issue, not even an alive signal, instead customers are left alone in this forum. Please help. Thanks.

12. JalalS

JalalS Bit poster

Thank you för the link. This is work and I have "settings" now but still not Ok for me because many apps like Gomplayer not working (no picture only audio) and I think its because the Windows not activated and missing codecs (I couldn't activate it with a new Windows 10 licens). Every things worked perfect with my previous Mac with Intel chip. sadly the Parallels support couldn't help.