Office 2019 c2r on Win 10 preview Mac M1

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by LawrenceR4, May 9, 2021.

1. LawrenceR4

LawrenceR4 Bit poster

I have just recently installed Parallels 16.5 with the Insider version of Windows 10 Preview on my wife's Mac Mini M1. The Mac side has Ofiice 2021 Preview installed and is working flawlessly. I have attempted to install Office 2019 C2r and learned the following: The preview dow not support 64 bit Office at all. Office365 purchased from the Microsoft Store will be ARM not x86 and there is now an ARM version of Teams and should work. I am not sure if 365 version is 32 or 64 as I have not attempted this route. The 32 bit version of Office Pro Plus completes the install but this appears when attempting to open any application in the suite: Word Excel Outlook etc....
    upload_2021-5-9_13-2-14.png
    The suite is activated but is unusable. I have been told, and read, that Office 2019 and 2021 preview in 32-bit form works, but I have had no luck. I have even attempted a test install of Office 2016 MSI and the installer will not even complete vs 2019 32 bit C2r. I have scrubbed Office after test install with MS's Office scrubber tool. Does anyone know why the apps fail to open and why people have said this is supposed to work, but it does not, on my wife's machine? My wife's machine has max ram and processor cores allotted so this should not be a lack of power issue unless this issue is caused by the Mac OS or the virtual machines overhead

2. alev

alev Parallels Team

Hi Lawrence,

I recommend you try updating Windows. Microsoft is improving emulation almost every week and enables lots of apps with each update.
    We see many users running Microsoft Office applications, including Word. Most likely they are using Office 365, though.

3. LawrenceR4

LawrenceR4 Bit poster

I think I might have found out the issue, there is a rule even with emulation when the Host OS in this case big Sur is run a C2r suite in this case Office 2021 ARM native preview for Mac ARM which is activated with the appropriate Volume serializer, and you attempt to run a 2nd C2r suite, in this case, Office Pro Plus 2019 retail. The second suite will not run.
    Rule:
    You cannot install two products together that use different versions of the Click-to-Run installation technology.

I am assuming this applies to Parallels, as this rule was found on the VM Ware site taken from the MS knowledge-base unless someone can verify that they are running both these suites as I have installed and activated and they are both functioning in their respective OSs I would venture to say this is my problem. I was under the impression that the virtual machine installs were totally separate from the host OS and there would be no conflicts and I was told there were no issues in running the 32-bit X86 version of Office 2016 or 2019 in the Win 10 Arm preview in a VM or running natively, and others have it running flawlessly, but I am not sure at this point they have an Office suite installed and running on the Host OS when using Win 10 ARM in a VM.

4. LawrenceR4

LawrenceR4 Bit poster

The update process does not complete!! Something to do with Parallels!!!!

5. LawrenceR4

LawrenceR4 Bit poster

Further, why would I want to create a brand new VM every time I want to update. Most likely the update not working is due to my version being activated, which under normal circumstances cannot happen as it is a preview copy and there is no consumer copies yet.