Old Solidworks Licensing Problem

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by PaulJ13, Jan 20, 2019.

1. PaulJ13

PaulJ13 Bit poster

Howdy all -

So I recently transferred my old PC (Dell m4500) to my MacBook Pro (15" late-2013) using Parallels Mac Desktop. All the old PC programs work fine - except one. The one that I want. My SolidWorks 2011 edition; yes it IS very old, no I do NOT have the installation disks, license info; yes I DO have the Serial No.

Now this copy of SolidWorks DOES work happily on the PC, but not on the MacBook under Parallels.

Specifically, I am getting: "Could not obtain a license for SolidWorks Standard. Server node is down or non-responding. (-96,7,11001)." - see the attached image.

Now the "SolidWorks SolidNet License Administrator" seems to work fine under Parallels and is giving has the identical configuration as was on the PC.

Any advice would be gratefully accepted!

Thanks! Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 10.43.26 pm.png

2. Hi @PaulJ13
    You can try the instructions from the SolidWorks forum: for example activate the license on license server and try to turn off the firewall.
    Please let us know the results.

3. PaulJ13

PaulJ13 Bit poster

Thanks so much - I will give the SolidWorks forum a shot too.
    Here is a little extra info:
    - Previously I successfully cloned the hard drive on my PC to a SSD - and SolidWorks11 still worked.
    - But when I transferred over to Parallels, it can't get obtain a license (as per above). As this is 8 years old, I no longer have install disks, etc.
    - I was thinking perhaps I've got a path problem? My old PC was called M4500 (it's a Dell Precision M4500) and if you look at the .exe properties, you can see that it still has that OLD computer name (under Parallels the name is "Windows 7"). Could that be the issue?
    - I am also including the 2 screenshots of the SolidWorks Rx program. These errors are identical to the errors on my (working) PC copy, with the exception that the Card Manufacturer, Card Model and Driver Ver are different.

Screen Shot 2019-01-24 at 3.10.39 am.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-24 at 3.09.26 am.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-24 at 3.10.22 am.png

4. @PaulJ13 I'm not sure, but maybe the reason of the issue is the license activation limit? Did you try for example deactivate your license from your PC and try to activate it again on your VM?
    Also please provide me with the version of your SolidWorks app, I'll test it on my side.

PaulJ13 likes this.
  5. PaulJ13

PaulJ13 Bit poster

Thanks for your thoughts! They're appreciated.

The version of SolidWorks is: 2011 x64 Edition SP2.0 Serial No.: 0010 0053 3522 5093
    When I start the License Server it says: "Could not get information from this server". It then books the SolidWorks SolidNetWork License Administrator. It lists a rando server: 25734@irtm1005 - which I have no idea what it means. It goes on to say "Total Licenses: 0, Free Licenses 0". And that's about it for the license server.

Again, this is all on my WORKING install on my PC, after having been transferred from a HDD to a SSD. Bizarely, under Parallels, Solidworks WON'T boot (with the description above), but the License Server will (but it has IDENTICAL information as the working PC version). Hence my concern that it was a PATH problem?

Thanks again!

6. @PaulJ13 thanks a lot for your cooperation. May be you're right and several Solidworks components haven't been transferred completely. Is it possible for you to transfer your PC to VM once again? Just for check. And for the preset issue. could you please generate the problem report using this KB. Please generate it right after the issue reproduced and reply with the report ID.
    One more question. Do you have additional apps on your transferred VM? Does it work OK?

Looking forward to your reply.