On macOS Sierra - Parallels Desktop 12 - error unable to load Parallels driver - error ID 352

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JeffK2, Oct 4, 2016.

1. JeffK2

JeffK2 Bit poster

Screenshot 2016-10-05 13.39.30.png I updated to macOS Sierra 10.12 a few weeks ago with no issues.

I was using Parallels 10 with the new install of 10.12 and was able to access Windows 7 daily. The switch from 10.11 to 10.12 was seamless.

All my Mac's software (and Windows) was 100% up to date. Parallels 10 was the latest version.

After 3 weeks of no issues on 10.12 and using Parallels 10 daily, I started Windows and Parallels 10 showed the error 'unable to load driver' and, from the Parallels kb, I found that I may need to upgrade to Parallels 12.

As I was planning to upgrade anyway, I upgraded from 10 to Parallels 12, and had the same error.

I contacted Parallels support - they responded with this:

Unable to load the Parallels Driver. Problem ID: 352

Cause

The problem is in Apple's /System/Library/Extensions/IOPCIFamily.kext bundle. Info.plist in the bundle is corrupted due to some reasons.

Resolution

Please contact Apple Support Team and send them system.log and corrupted /System/Library/Extensions/IOPCIFamily.kext/Info.plist.

The Parallels contact person wrote that, 'if Apple can't help, we'll try again to help'.

I looked for the file /System/Library/Extensions/IOPCIFamily.kext/Info.plist. - it wasn't even there and, it wasn't in the trash either.

I looked into the Time Machine backup and that IOPCIFamily.kext/Info.plist is not there either.

This is not really an issue I have with Apple Support. It's Parallels that should assist.

Is anyone able to provide assistance on these forums please?

I have a recent Time Machine back up to use but I don't want to mess around in the System files without knowing what I am doing.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi, please send a problem report (menu Parallels Desktop -> Help -> Send technical data) and post here its number

3. Dinesh@Parallels

Dinesh@Parallels Guest

Hello @JeffK2
    We have escalated this issue to our Engineering Team high priority, while we do not have ETA for the fix. Please stay tuned for updates.

4. MartyL1

MartyL1 Bit poster

Same issue. Everything has been working fine for months and this evening I tried to start a VM which I used yesterday it won't start. Further testing shows none of my VMs will start. Also, can't find /System/Library/Extensions/IOPCIFamily.kext anywhere.

5. JeffK2

JeffK2 Bit poster

Parallels support did call me and tried to assist with remote access but were unable to fix the issue.
    I am taking my iMac to the local Tanzanian reseller who has a good technician.

6. JeffK2

JeffK2 Bit poster

The local reseller fixed my Parallels 12 issue by:
    '...reinstalling the OSX from bootable media and pram reset...'
    Everything works well now.

7. Thank you for sharing this, hope it will be helpful for other users.

8. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

At least in some cases the problem is due to Mac OS have not rebuilt its internal caches after upgrade to 10.12

Try the next:
    open /Application/Utilities/Terminal.app
    execute in it the command (without quotes) "sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions". It will ask for password.
    Reboot the Mac and check whether it have helped.

9. JeffK2

JeffK2 Bit poster

Note: This 'unable to load driver' error occurred about three weeks after my 10.12 upgrade.
    OS X 10.12 was working fine with Parallels 10 for three weeks before the error.
    I upgraded to Parallels 12 because of the error but the upgrade did not solve the error.

10. Guna@Parallels

Guna@Parallels Parallels Support

Please try the steps outlined in this article & keep us posted.

11. tarekb

tarekb Bit poster

hi
    how to solve problem 352 with macOS sierra.

12. Hey, we've check the status and this issue has been checked at the latest update. Are you running the latest version of Parallels Desktop 12?
    Also did you try the suggestion above?

13. If nothing helps, please provide us with the problem report (menu Parallels Desktop -> Help -> Send technical data) and post here its number

14. JamesC4

JamesC4 Bit poster

I have the same issue with Parallels 11.2.3-32663and High Sierra 10.13.6.
    I have tried https://kb.parallels.com/en/111693 but it did not help.
    I have sent an issue with id 269065961