Open in IE Button

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by sabre86, Sep 1, 2012.

1. sabre86

sabre86 Bit poster

HAs anyone else had a problem with getting the Open in IE button to come up in Safari? I can't get that to come up for me at all. Support suggested uninstalling Parallels Desktop and reinstalling, witch I did, but it did not work.

2. juzci

juzci Guest

Hi,
    what do you mean: you have no button or you have one, but it doesn't work?

Regards,
    Hanna

3. sabre86

sabre86 Bit poster

No button at all.

4. juzci

juzci Guest

O-oh. Could you please start PD, start Safari, send us Problem Report as described in http://kb.parallels.com/en/9058 and give me an ID?

Thanks in advance,
    Hanna

5. sabre86

sabre86 Bit poster

I finaly got it working The support group suggested I open Safari preferences and go to extensions, get extensions. That did not work because there was not Open in Internet Explorer extension available. What I had to do was relaunch the PD8 .dmg icon. It opens a folder with 7 items, one of which is called Parallels Desktop. Opening this to get to Contents/library/safari/Extensions yields a file called OpenIE.safariextz. Right clicking allows opening with Safari which installs the extension. It now works as advertised.

6. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

To get the button in the Safari you need restart it after Parallels Desktop 8 installation. There is no way to install Safari extension without relaunching the application.

7. AshanT

AshanT Bit poster

This is still not working for me, can you please tell me how to enable this?

8. alexg

AshanT,

Do you have Parallels Desktop 8 installed?

Alex

9. AshanT

AshanT Bit poster

Hi Alex,

Yes i do have PD8 installed and registered in my computer.

10. alexg

AshanT, please check if OpenIE.safariextz present in ~/Library/Safari/Extensions/ folder.

11. AshanT

AshanT Bit poster

Alex,

Yes it was, and it installed once i double clicked the icon.

Tested it out, works like a charm!

Thanks a lot
    Ashan

12. NotoriousBIC

NotoriousBIC Bit poster

Same behaviour here, had to locate the extension in the Library manually.

However the button still doesn't work. When I click it, I get a very brief Safari error stating "... because OS X doesn't recognize Internet addresses starting with "prli:" and then redirects to http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/open-in-ie/

Problem Report submitted: 17750652

13. juzci

juzci Guest

NotoriousBIC,
    thank you for the feedback (and thank you twice for attaching Problem Report :)), we will investigate it.

Regards,
    Hanna

14. KirillBagrinovskiiy

KirillBagrinovskiiy Parallels Developers

NotoriousBIC, please do this steps:
    - turn off firewall if you use it
    - quit from Safari
    - quit from Parallels Desktop
    - reboot your Mac
    - start Parallels Desktop
    - start Safari
    - try use Open in IE button

15. RadekV

RadekV Junior Member

I got same problem. I have IE extension in Library, Safari folder. It works on my home PC but does not on work PC.

16. NotoriousBIC

NotoriousBIC Bit poster

After the restart this does work for Windows XP Guest OS with IE8. However Windows 8 Guest OS with IE10 does not work. The behaviour is slightly different; when clicking the open in IE button, PD does take focus away from Safari, but doesn't open IE, even if it was already open.

With XP guest OS it's opening in windowed, coherence mode and full screen (although it doesn't switch to the XP desktop).

17. RadekV

RadekV Junior Member

My problem is I cant see "Open in IE" button in Safari....correct: Ive got NOT same problem like Notorious...
    Other extensions "translate and so on" work properly.

18. KirillBagrinovskiiy

RadekV, please restart Safari and check "Open In IE" extension exists in Safari (check it in Safari Preferences -> Extensions)

19. KirillBagrinovskiiy

NotoriousBIC, are you have updated Parallels Tools in Windows 8 guest?
    If Parallels Tools Updated please click on "Open In IE" button in Safari and generate Problem Report after PD take focus. Please write you report ID here

Thanks for your answer!

20. RadekV

RadekV Junior Member

There is no Open in IE extension in preferences. I have Google translate extension there only. But physically it is in Library/Safari on HDD.