Opening Zoom link in Win 10

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by RichardRiffel, Jan 11, 2021.

1. RichardRiffel

RichardRiffel Bit poster

Hi,
    When trying to open a zoom link embedded inside an outlook invite, my browser opens but tries to open the Zoom app running on the mac side - not windows. I've checked the following:

1) Zoom is installed in the Win10 VM
    2) My browser default is set properly in Win10 VM
    3) If I download the zoom app from the Win10 browser and open it, it works just fine. But I dont want to do that for every meeting

I can't tell what extension the meeting invite is trying to open to verify the default program is set up properly. Any ideas? This is what I get in the browser:

Untitled.jpg

Thanks!

2. WestC

WestC Bit poster

I am seeing the same thing. If I go into the W10 VM settings and uncheck Share Mac apps with Windows, restart the VM then click on the link, nothing happens. Something doesn't look right in W10 settings > Apps > default apps > protocols, URL:Zoom launcher doesn't have the Zoom app associated with it and no way to add it.

3. Hello, could you provide us with the screenshot of the issue please?

4. WestC

WestC Bit poster

I think I fixed this by uninstalling the Zoom from the W10 VM, checked "Isolate Windows from Mac" in the W10 VM configuration settings, restarted the W10 VM, reinstalled Zoom, unchecked "Isolate Windows from Mac". Everything seems to working as expected now, that is, clicking a Zoom link opens the Zoom app in the W10 VM and not the Zoom app in macOS.

5. StuartB6

StuartB6 Bit poster

Hi

I have exactly the same problem and have gone through the same steps. Unfortunately, the fit did not work and I still get asked 'To open windows files in Mac OS applications, you must allow this, Cancel, Allow Once, Allow Always

Anybody have any advice to fix

Thanks

Stu

6. StuartB6

StuartB6 Bit poster

Further info

If I go into the W10 VM settings and isolate windows from Mac, restart windows then click on the link, nothing happens. In W10 settings > Apps > default apps > protocols, ZoomMTG doesn't have the Zoom app associated with it and no way to add it.

UnCheck isolate windows from Mac and ZOOMMTG now has zoom.us (Mac) application associated wit it

7. WestC

WestC Bit poster

Follow these steps exactly:
    "I think I fixed this by uninstalling the Zoom from the W10 VM, checked "Isolate Windows from Mac" in the W10 VM configuration settings, restarted the W10 VM, reinstalled Zoom, unchecked "Isolate Windows from Mac". Everything seems to working as expected now, that is, clicking a Zoom link opens the Zoom app in the W10 VM and not the Zoom app in macOS."

8. StuartB6

StuartB6 Bit poster

Thanks but I tried that, carefully followed your instructions but as soon as I unchecked the "isolate windows from Mac" as the last step it goes back to using the Zoom App in Mac OS. Even if I turn off Share Mac applications with windows - it simply stops working. If I now re-install the Windows Zoom app it works for that first occasion but then stops working again

All very frustrating

S

9. WestC

WestC Bit poster

Updated to the latest version of Zoom? This is not ideal, but try opening the Zoom app in the VM, click Join Meeting, then paste the meeting ID and passcode into the "Enter Meeting ID..." and passcode fields. This should work until a better fix is found.

10. StuartB6

StuartB6 Bit poster

Yes

that's what I am doing - It is a fix but not a solution. The Default program for opening Zoom Meetings on Windows 10 still seems to be zoom (Mac) even when you turn of share Mac applications with Windows. It seems to be trying to find the executable and failing. Don't understand though why it works once if you simply download the client again and re-install

S

11. StuartB6

StuartB6 Bit poster

Hi again

Just because I had some spare time I removed the current Windows 10 virtual machine and deleted all the data and then recreated a new Windows 10 Virtual machine and installed all my programs from from scratch and guess what.

IT STILL DOESNT WORK

S

12. ECG

ECG Bit poster

Any update? It's a major problem. You can't change the ZOOMMTH protocol to use zoom.us, you only have zoom.us (Mac) to select. Since I'm using a corporate account need to login using SSO I can't even login as it used a web link to open Zoom and it opens my the Mac version. This mean I can't even schedule meeting using the Outlook plugin.

ZOOMMTG.png

13. BryanJ

BryanJ Bit poster

14. StuartB6

StuartB6 Bit poster

Hi great find and fix - many thanks

S

15. ECG

ECG Bit poster

Great find. If for any reasons you don't have admin rights on your Windows here another workaround.
    1. Turn off you virtual Windows
    2. Put the Mac Zoom app into the trashcan
    3. Start back your Windows Virtual
    4. Go the the Mac trashcan and ask to put back the Zoom Mac app to it's location.

Windows will they start the Windows Zoom app.

Every time before you start you virtual Windows in Parallel you need to do step 2 to 4. To ensure I don't forget I rename my virtual Windows to start with ZOOM so every time I start it, it remind me to put Zoom Mac app in the trashcan. Probably can write a script instead.

16. DungN2

DungN2 Bit poster

Thanks but I tried that, carefully followed your instructions but as soon as I unchecked the "isolate windows from Mac" as the last step it goes back to using the Zoom App in Mac OS. Even if I turn off Share Mac applications with windows - it simply stops working. If I now re-install the Windows Zoom app it works for that first occasion but then stops working again
    All very frustrating

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2021
  17. AleksejT

AleksejT Bit poster

Still no solution for this problem. All workarounds stop working. Tried to delete registry associations, didnt help. WE'RE waiting SOLUTION! pls fix it!!!

18. FrancisH1

FrancisH1 Bit poster

Any update on this infuriating bug?